Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best way to get from Shannon airort toDublin airport? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-way-to-get-from-shannon-airort-todublin-airport-968132/)

Miralee Feb 24th, 2013 05:17 PM

Best way to get from Shannon airort toDublin airport?

We are with tour group and they will br departing from Shannon and we need to depart from Dublin. Does anyone know the best way to get from SNN to Dublin airport? Thanks!

nytraveler Feb 24th, 2013 05:40 PM

Well, it's on the opposite side of the country. How long do you have to get there?

janisj Feb 24th, 2013 06:15 PM

It isn't the easiest transfer in the world. How long do you have?

AFAIK You would need to take a bus or taxi from Shannon to Limerick. Then a train from Limerick to Dublin. Finally a bus or taxi from Dublin to DUB.

Tony2phones Feb 25th, 2013 02:29 AM

Where is the last Night. might be easier to get the train from there? As above, train from Limerick or Go Bus from Galway. JJ Kavanagh run a bus service between the airports but it goes round the houses.

Miralee Feb 25th, 2013 04:16 AM

Many thanks for all of the helpful responses!! :) Our group ends at Shannon airport one morning and we will not be flying out til the next AM in Dublin so we have all day to get there. I guess there is not a train straight from one airport to the other- sounds like we will need to bus it some- is this pretty easy?

Miralee Feb 25th, 2013 04:16 AM

Many thanks for all of the helpful responses!! :) Our group ends at Shannon airport one morning and we will not be flying out til the next AM in Dublin so we have all day to get there. I guess there is not a train straight from one airport to the other- sounds like we will need to bus it some- is this pretty easy?

Tony2phones Feb 25th, 2013 04:46 AM

It's an easy enough move but takes the best part of a day by public transport, would be a 3+ hour straight drive.

As before if you are in Galway/Limerick or close the night before getting dropped at Shannon might not be the best move, have a lie in an set off from the last nights stop.

Southam Feb 25th, 2013 08:25 AM

Bus Eirean connects Shannon Airport to Dublin Airport and downtown. http://www.buseireann.ie/ Use the travel planner for the schedule. It looks like the bus departs every couple of hours, for a five-hour ride to Dublin.

janisj Feb 25th, 2013 08:28 AM

Tony has a good suggestion - where are you staying the night before Shannon. It might be easier/faster to leave for Dublin from where ever that is.

Or another option from Shannon - since you obviously won't be jet lagged, you could pick up a rental car at Shannon and drop it at DUB - no hassling of luggage and a fairly easy drive.

Miralee Feb 25th, 2013 08:55 AM

We are at Oakwood Arms (hotel??) in Shannon the night before. Thought about driving but we are from the US and my husband is a little worried about driving on the other side of the road from what he is used to? Do you know if the roads are easy to navigate or windy? Are you familiar with them?
Thanks!!

janisj Feb 25th, 2013 08:55 AM

Southam: That surprised me so I looked at the Bus Eirean site. It doesn't allow booking Shannon/DUB - only Shannon to Dublin. So would involve another ticket and changing to a Dublin/DUB bus.

certainly doable, but not a straightforward airport>airport trip.

Tony2phones Feb 25th, 2013 10:26 AM

You would have to put in Dublin Airport the DUB code will not get anything.

You can get the local bus 334 to Shannon Airport from outside the Oakwood then the Cork 51 bus to Limerick and the X12 will take you from there to Dublin Airport.

janisj Feb 25th, 2013 03:31 PM

Tony2phones: I did use the airport (I only typed DUB here to differentiate from the City). I went all the way through the booking process - it wouldn't allow me to enter any details for Shannon to Dublin Airport. Once I changed to 'Dublin' it let me proceed.

Tony2phones Feb 26th, 2013 01:52 AM

Might be the bus you were looking at does not serve the Airport. Be careful not all do go out to there.

welltraveledbrit Feb 26th, 2013 02:27 AM

Miralee,
I would contact the hotel in Shannon and ask them. They'll have the most up-to-date local information.

flanneruk Feb 26th, 2013 04:23 AM

It's only a two hour drive.

Why not just hire a car?

Tony2phones Feb 26th, 2013 05:55 AM

Hiring a car would be a lot more hassle than it is worth. Living an hour away and using the bus to and from SNN often I doubt the Oakwood would give anything other than above.

Thinking Outside the box if the tour is in say Killarney or Galway the previous night you could stay there then or perhaps the tour could drop you in Limerick,Ennis or Galway before they drop at the Oakwood you could then have a night out somewhere with more going on and an easier task the following day.

Check the JJ Kavanagh Timetable if you want to just have one bus all the way http://jjkavanagh.ie/timetables