Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from Schipol airport to Amsterdam hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our flight into Schipol is scheduled to arrive at 12:30pm on April 25. There are 4 of us traveling together and we will probably have 2 large suitcases and 4 smaller carry-on suitcases with us. Our hotel in Amsterdam is about 3 blocks from Central Station. Any suggestions on the easiest and most affordable way for the 4 of us to get to our hotel from Schipol? Can all 4 of us and our luggage fit into 1 taxi? Or should we take the train from Schipol to Central Station and then a taxi from Central Station to our hotel? Is the train fairly easy to get to at Schipol? Thanks so much for any advice on this!
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 08:13 AM

It is simple to take the train fom Schipol.
Just go downstairs at the airport, get your ticket and off you go.

If your hotel is only 3 blocks from hotel, you can wheel your suitcase there without too much problem. i have walked with mine about 10 blocks from central station.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:05 AM

You'll need to get your ticket before you go downstairs to the platform at Schiphol. There is an elevator to save effort.

Hang onto your luggage. This train is infamous for pickpockets and luggage thieves. Same for Centraal Station. There was a platoon of cops in there the last time I went through in October.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM

<You'll need to get your ticket before you go downstairs to the platform at Schiphol.>

exactly.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I used the Connexxion hotel shuttle bus service, it worked nicely. Without having to drag a bunch of suitcases on to public transportation. I'm not against using the train in theory, but that's an awful lot of baggage to be toting around.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for this info! It sounds like either option will work and both sound fairly easy.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although I don't know just <i>how</i> big your luggage is, the train is so easy even I managed.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 02:16 AM

The train is fine and pretty roomy. It was my first and only experience of a 'double decker' train too, which amused us.

Then we just schlepped our cases along to the hotel a few streets away from the station.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 02:39 AM

If you take the train in do NOT under any circumstances leave your luggage NEXT TO the doors; thieves have been known to reach in when the train stops at an intervening station (Sloterdijk), grab luggage, and run with it.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 03:06 AM

Dukey, whilst that is good advice, no matter which train you take anywhere in the world, security at Sloterdijk has been increased considerably and such thefts are less likely now than in the past.
Do not leave your luggage unguarded on the train - there are seats by the doors where you enter the train, without needing to go into the carriage proper. If you have bulky luggage make use of those and stay with your bags. It is only common sense.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:01 AM

I apologize if my post seems less than "common sensical" to you..I was simply trying to be helpful.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:04 AM

I know that Dukey. Sorry if my post came over wrong.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:12 AM

We took the train and it was very easy. It did take us a couple of minutes to figure out how to get the ticket from the automated machine.

Once we arrived at Centraal Station, we took a taxi because I didn't realize how close our apartment was. The driver completely ripped us off by charging an outrageous amount for a 2 minute ride. I found out afterwards that they've had a problem in Amsterdam since de-regulating the taxis - now (this was in 2006) there is lots of overcharging going on.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:52 AM

Taxi prices are regulated in the Netherlands. You will be charged a base rate of €7.50 which includes the first 2 Kms, and a maximum of €2.20 per subsequent Km.

Make sure any taxi you take has blue number plates, that you can see the drivers taxi permit, with photo, and that you can see their price list - which must be visible inside and outside the vehicle. You do not have to take the cab at the head of the queue either.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:54 AM

Oh and remember the NS ticket machines do not accept credit cards - anybodies, not even Dutch cards. You can pay with a debit card if it is linked to the Maestro network and has a 4 cipher PIN though. Otherwise pay a bit extra and get your tickets from the window.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
www.airporthotelshuttle.nl

I'm telling you it couldn't be easier Why would you want to drag six suitcases onto public transportation, when you can do this instead?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:12 PM

I like the looks of suze's suggestion. We will be arriving on April 15. 2 people w/luggage.

Does anybody have an idea about how much the taxi cost to Estherea Hotel at Singel 303 (or just average price to downtown)?
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 01:59 AM

A taxi from Schiphol to Singel will cost about €40-45.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 07:22 AM

We did it with luggage and thought the Dutch trains were especially well configured for that. Piece of cake! I wouldn't hesitate to make your trip by train, unless you have issues that make walking and pulling luggage a problem. By foot is also the best way to get to know the town -- so by the time you reach your hotel you'll already have a sense of the area.

Once off the plane, make your first stop (well, maybe second if the rest room is first) the ATM. Get your Euros and you'll be set for buying tickets, picking up that snack, whatever.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:35 PM

From iguide...
"Taxis in Amsterdam are plentiful but expensive. Hailing taxis on the street is usually a positive experience, although it is not unheard of for passengers to be cheated by shady drivers.

Some drivers, traditionally at Centraal Station, will refuse short trips, or else they'll quote outrageously high fares, even though all taxis are metered. For reference, no trip within the historic centre should cost more than €10 or so.

The Netherlands (and Amsterdam) is in the middle of a huge taxi liberalization scheme which has been jarring to all involved. After many missteps, the government has introduced an unusual pricing scheme. First you feel sticker shock as the initial fare is now €7,50 (as of Feb 08). Luckily, that includes the first two kilometres of travel and there is no charge for waiting in traffic..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -