Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from one Eastern Europe an city to another

May 25th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Wondering if it's best to get a car, or use public transportation (bus, train) to go from Tallin to Vilnius to Riga (any combination, not necessasrily in that order).

Are trains/buses reliable? Too long a trip (i.e., over 5 hours), etc.? If one gets a car to do this - Is the countryside worth driving through - and what to do with car once you've gotten to the city?

Airplanes the best way?
May 25th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Check out the guide, www.inyourpocket.com for Eastern Europe travels.

I took the bus from St. Petersburg, Russia to Tallinn, Estonia and thought it was cheap and good quality. If you plan to be in a large city, I would avoid a car.

I flew from Tallinn to Berlin on EasyJet and that was fine for a two-hour flight, but it isn't that far from Tallin to Riga and Vilnius.
May 25th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Went to the inyourpocket site but didn't see information on traveling from one city to another.
May 25th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Try www.whichbudget.com for cheap flights. There are several discount airlines that may fly your route (flyLAL, Air Baltic, Estonian Air).
May 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM

The train is not available.

I took buses last year from Tallinn to Riga to Vilnius. Buses are cheap. Look up Eurolines.

May 27th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

What were the buses like? Clean, on time or not?
May 27th, 2007, 10:51 PM
hsv

I would recommend that you rent a car.
Buses are slow. Trains are scarce in the area. By flying you skip the chance for the odd stop off the road and to explore the beautiful countryside.

Travel times in the region usually exceed those that you'd find in Germany. I.e. the trip from Tallinn to Riga, a mere 300 km will likely take you approx. 4 hours by car.

I loved driving there, though, as the scenery is green and nice towns such as Paernu are definitely worth a stop.
May 27th, 2007, 10:54 PM
hsv

Oh,

within city limits, you might want to indeed take a look at inyourpocket whether and which hotels offer (guarded) and secure parking.

For Riga, I would not recommend to stay in Old Town in this instance as most hotels there do either not have parking or it requires a pass to be purchased at the entrance to Old Town (although the Konventa Seta Hotel does have a parking lot). But close to the Art Nouveau district are a couple of hotels that are withing walking distance to either, the Art Nouveau area and Old Town, that are worthwhile to look for. Many good restaurants in that area, too.
May 28th, 2007, 02:45 AM

The buses were clean and on time. Drain your bladder before take off because the ones I used did not have toilets. Some do. You throw your luggage in the hold under the bus. Passports are checked at borders. American passports are taken into the police station for further scrutiny. Make sure your passport is returned before the bus takes off again.

May 28th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

A question I have about renting a car is - if you're gong to stay in one of the cities for a few days, is it worth it to keep paying for the car which you won't be using for that time?

Another question - Can you, for example, fly into Tallinn, do the city for a few days (haven't rented the car yet), then rent a car within Tallinn (not at the airport), and drop it off in another city at the end of your trip? Any companies you would recommend?
May 28th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Quick overview of Riga practicals:

In Old Town I recommend the hostel Profitcenter and the restaurant Lido. Hostel price includes a good starter breakfast w/CNN, free internet, and cheap self-do laundry. The Lido has a buffet dinner with salmon, herring, meats, and plenty of groceries for which you pay by weight. I went back 3 or 4 times. Smacking good and cheap. Great lunch special in the Dickens Bar, pub area.

Riga has tall and beautiful women, and helpful cops.

May 28th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Hopscotch: Tall and beautiful women, eh? Uh oh. Safe to take my husband? (Thought I was a male did you?)
May 28th, 2007, 03:31 PM

kenav,

I'm just reporting the facts.
May 29th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

hopscotch - No problem. Just kidding around.