Search

Best way to get from Naples to Ravello?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:24 PM
JES
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to get from Naples to Ravello?

Can anyone suggest how to get us to Revello from Naples--train? Taxi? Bus? How far a ride is it?
Thank you!!
Also, will it be beach weather the first week in May? If not, when does beach weather begin there?
Thanks for any and all help
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:35 PM
ira

Hi J,

Ravello is situated on a cliff high above the Med. It doesn't have a beach.

For Naples to Ravello, I suggest training to Salerno, taking the ferry to Amalfi and the bus to Ravello.

Train schedules at www.trenitalia.com.

For Ferry schedules Positano – Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr...i/costiera.asp

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:39 PM

You can take a SITA bus from Salerno to Ravello.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM

How many people are we talking about and how much luggage?

It's a long haul using public transportation. Hiring a car is often a practical option. There have been many recommendations posted in this forum. Mine is always Benvenuto Limousines.

It is important to note that Ravello does not have a beach, unless you bus down the mountain. Many Ravello hotels have swimming pools.

There is a hotel right on the Med at the foot of the road leading up to Ravello -- Hotel Villa San Michele Ravello.

However, many people who want both beach and hillside views choose Praiano or Positano instead.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:35 PM
JES
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice. There are 2 of us and probably 2-3 bags.
We're stopping in Belgium, then a flight to Milan as a stop over to Naples (all I could get with the frequent flyers). We arrive into Naples late so we'd leave for Revello the next morning. It's sounding like a hike to Revello. We only have 10 days and I'm hoping not to spend all of our time travelling!
How long will it take to drive if we rent a car or take a taxi to Sorrento? Is there any direct route via public transportation anyone can recommend?
I have a hotel deal at work which allows us a stay at the Palazzo Sasso in Revello. Even if there is no beach, I think it will be nice to stay there. We're going to Ischia afterwards, so I guess we can have our beachtime there.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:49 PM

Palazzo Sasso, eh? Nice work if you can get it!

E-mail Palazzo Sasso and have them arrange to have a driver pick you up at the Naples airport and drive you straight to Palazzo Sasso. The airport is on the "Amalfi coast side" of Naples anyway.

For the kind of money Palazzo Sasso charges, they'll wait up for you.

If you actually don't have a reservation for the Sasso until the following day, then I would take a taxi to a good hotel in Sorrento. Next day you could make your way to Ravello by public transportation, timed to arrive at the check in hour, which may mean 3pm.

Stop to have lunch along the way -- in Amalfi or Positano.

In fact, if you eat in someplace nice in Amalfi -- they would call a driver for you to take you up to Palazzo Sasso. That would probably only set you back 25 bucks.

Have you figured out how you are getting from Ravello to Ischia?
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM
JES
Original Poster

Do you know how far Revello is from the Naples airport? We are going to be EXHAUSTED by the time we get there which will be around 11pm so I was assuming we'd stay in Naples.
Also how far is Naples from Sorrento?
I'd like to try to do this as inexpensively as possible also (we're only staying at the Sasso b/c of a reduced price I get through work).

I don't know how I'm getting to Ischia--any recommendations?
Thanks again for all of your help!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 05:28 PM

Funny, I just checked on the Palazzo Sasso website and they offer to arrange for private helicopter services.

OK, back to reality!

I was thinking that by the time it took you to get to Naples, it wouldn't be all that much more to get to Ravello at that time of night (no traffic, that's for sure.)

But it would be pricey! Even worse, for all that money, you wouldn't see an inch of the famous Amalfi drive.

I'm trying to figure out if the best bet for two exhausted people is Sorrento or Napoli. I'm thinking it is probably Sorrento, because my recollection is that the airport is a shade closer to Sorrento. Besides, Sorrento is a quieter, more relaxing, more reassuring place than Napoli.

From Sorrento the next day, I would give serious consideration to taking a ferry to Amalfi. It appears from the schedule ira gave you that one leaves from Sorrento at 11 in the morning and takes you to Amalfi for 6.50 euro. From there you could catch a bus to Ravello.

I'm sorry I don't know how long the ferry takes. Do you know the check-in time for the Palazzo Sasso?

The alternative is taking a bus from Sorrento to Ravello (probably switching in Amalfi) or a train to Naples, switching to a train for Salerno, then a bus to Ravello. I would only opt for the latter if you think your stomach can't handle a long bus ride on a very, very twisty road.

Don't eat a big breakfast with orange juice and coffee.

But honestly, I still recommend that you e-mail Palazzo Sasso and ask for their advice, including whether to overnight in Napoli or Sorrento, and how best to get to their hotel from there without coughing up 143 euros for their limo. And ask for a hotel recommendation in Sorrento and/or Napoli.

When you stay at a five star, even under false pretenses of being that rich, use the services! ;-)

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Neopolitan

Good advice about "pretending to be rich" and using their services. But checking with the Sasso (which would normally suggest a car service to meet you in Naples) and asking about public transporation will certainly blow your cover!

We went from Ischia to Ravello, by taking a day boat from Ischia to Amalfi, and then taking the bus up to Ravello. When we left, we took the bus down to Amalfi, took a boat to Salerno, pulled our luggage a couple of blocks to the train station and then took the train to Naples and on to Rome. It could certainly be done in reverse, which is just what Ira suggested in the second post here. I'm still with him.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Yes, I agree.

My sense of responsibility got me to look at map with Capodichino airport on it, and it does appear your best bet in staying overnight in Naples, then going by train the next morning to Salerno. From there, taking the ferry (or bus) to Amalfi, another bus (or taxi) to Ravello.

Don't skimp too much on a Naples hotel for your overnight. There is a very boring Mercure business near the train station that is perfectly safe and if you book there, they might help to arrange for a pick up at the airport. You'll get a very poor impression of Napoli as you walk to the train station the next morning, and if you think that will be a lousy start to your trip, book in one of the tonier districts and take a cab to the train station the following morning.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 05:59 PM
JES
Original Poster

Ha-I love you guys!
Thanks for the great ideas. I have no problems with any of this...I'm just worried about DH who is already worried that I'll be dragging him around from place to place when all he wants to do is relax! I have a tendancy to do this because I need to see everything
Of course, once we're on a boat to anywhere, I think the relaxing will have started.
I'm trying to figure out the ferry schedule...am I reading it right in that it would be a 4 1/2 hour ferry ride from Sorrento to Amalfi? (I can hear the complaining already...)
Does anyone know how long the bus is? If there is a straight route?
I do have a great hotel in Naples if I need to stay there.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:03 PM

Glad you are so cheerful about all this chatter.

What hotel in Napoli? (I collect recommendations because I want to go back.)

Looks like night in Napoli plus ferry from Salerno is your best bet. But I'll let somebody else help you figure out those travel times.

Once you sink into the Palazzo Sasso, even you will not want to move. Ok, maybe you'll wave your arm at the waitstaff for another Negroni.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:34 PM
JES
Original Poster

It's the Grand Hotel Parkers. Check out the photos...I'm just looking at the rooftop (that I will drag DH to no matter what time or how tiredhttp://www.hotels.com/property.jsp?p...=1144203814441

It's looking like I might only get one night at the Sasso now and only on the Sunday night. Am I crazy to think of doing this trip in this amount of time?
Friday Lv NY
Sat Arrive Brussels
Sat Brussels to Milan to Naples
Sun Bus, train, boat to Ravello
Mon Bus, boat to Ischia
Ahhh Ischia Mon pm-Thurs. (Mezzatorre Resort & Spa http://www.mezzatorre.it/)
Thurs boat to Naples
Fri Naples to Milan to Zurich (have friends there, though may just stay in Italy)
Mon Zurich to Atlanta (4 hr layover) to NY

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Neopolitan

I'm wanting to say you're not crazy, but I'm afraid I just can't seem to bring myself to lie like that.

I say forget Ravello (do it another time). This is one heck of a lot of maneuvering about for one evening at the Sasso, beautiful as it is. And it's a heck of schlepp from Ravello out to Ischia the next day. In all honesty I'd stay at the Parker two nights and see a bit of Naples -- I really enjoyed it--and that looks like a great place to stay and catch your breath for a day before heading to Ischia.

If you wanted a little more variety, you could spend a night in Sorrento after Ischia instead of back to Naples if that gives you enough time to go from there to the airport to head on to Milan (I'm assuming you're flying there?)

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:48 PM

How about decamping from the Sasso to another spot in Ravello for another night or two and elimating the visit to Zurich?

The truly wonderful Ristorante Da Salvatore in Ravello has really spiff doubles (with Vietri tile floors and tiny balconies with marvelous view) for 90 euro a night.

I don't think they have a website. You have to call, and do it around 5pm Italy time or Saturday afternoon. Keep trying, because it is so early in the season, they may not be fully open. Ask for Pino. He speaks English. He will probably ask you for a fax number so he can send you a confirmation. Have one ready.

Here's the number for Da Salvatore in Ravello: 089/857227

There are other choices in Ravello. Check on Tripadvisor. The one I saw called, I believe, Il Giardino, looked pretty good to me when I was in Ravello, and I don't think the prices were stratospheric, but they weren't as sweet as Da Salvatore.

Here's my Napoli dream:

http://www.hotelsanfrancesco.it/

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:49 PM

On the other hand, I like Neopolitan's plan -- although I wouldn't toss in Sorrento.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:46 PM
JES
Original Poster

Hmmm some great ideas. I'd love to spend a little more time in Naples. I remember the very short time I was there last I had the very best pizza and would love to try some Neopolitan specialties (it's alot about food for me). Ness (can I call you that for short?!), that hotel looks dreamy!

I have been to Amalfi but it was about 15 yrs ago and for some reason, everything seemed so much closer and easier (but of course I had 2 mos then to meander). My husband has never been and I'd hate to be so close and not get a chance to explore it so I like the idea of Sorrento or another night in Ravello at another place--even if we have to move the bags.
Ness--thanks for the recommendation on Da Salvatore. I did a little checking on Travel Advisor and it had rave reviews. I wish I could have found a photo--but I can go on faith.
Why do you not recommend Sorrento?
As it would be easier than Ravello.
Is Ravello not to be missed?
Thanks again for all of your wonderful advice!!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 08:15 PM

I like Sorrento just fine, but if you are giving up Ravello so as not to wear yourself out, I think the combo of Ischia/Napoli is enough variety.

Ravello is a place unto itself. It perches up in the clouds, too far removed to be part of the thickly touristed Amalfi Drive. It's a true dream resort, of wealth and villas. And it is artsy and literary. It's refined. And incredibly quiet and still.

But one thing you have to consider is that if you expend all that effort to get to Ravello for one night or two -- what if it rains? When it rains, all the views disappear and everything is gray. I'm not sure it is worth the risk -- especially for one night. I'd give it at least 2 and maybe 3 to make the effort worth it. And only if you want to go someplace where there is nothing to do. (Have a novel to finish?)

Da Salvatore is a large, almost modern restaurant fronted with floor to ceiling glass windows that hang over the cliffs of Ravello and overlook the sea. Underneath the restaurant, there are half a dozen rooms, freshly renovated, spotlessly clean, with comfortable king beds and an armoire, and a nice-sized bathroom with shower. Everything is done in handpainted tiles. Outside each room is a balcony with the same views as the restaurant. The balcony is big enough to hold two chairs and a little table. If someone is sitting on the balcony next to yours, you can hear everything they say.

It's not the Palazzo Sasso, and it would be quite a shock to go from the Palazzo back down with the plebes so fast. But it's all the Ravello I'll ever need, and I quite adored it. I ate in the restaurant every night. The food is great! And I lounged around Ravello, in various gardens, piazzas and my tiny little balcony, reading books about Pompeii.

If you gave me $5,000 and told me I had to spend it all staying somewhere between Naples and Ravello, I'd pick Naples.

Any thought of doing this trip the other way, without Palazzo Sasso. Fly to Naples, hang out, boat to Ischia, hang out, boat and bus to Ravello, hang out at Da Salvatore for 2 nights (but go up to Palazzo Sasso for a sunset drink).

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 01:34 AM
ira

Hi J,

>Am I crazy to think of doing this trip in this amount of time?

Friday Lv NY
Sat Arrive Brussels
Sat Brussels to Milan to Naples
Sun Bus, train, boat to Ravello
Mon Bus, boat to Ischia Mon pm-Thurs. Thurs boat to Naples
Fri Naples to Milan to Zurich
Mon Zurich to Atlanta (4 hr layover) to NY<

Yes, you are crazy.

7 of your eleven days is given up to getting to/from.

The most relaxing part of this trek is the two full days on Ischia, and you will certainly need it.

I sincerely urge you to rethink this expedition.

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 03:37 AM

Another minus point re Ravello - since it's high up, it's much colder than the coast so you may not even be lying by the pool. We went in mid June and although it was hot in the sun, it was cold in the shade and at night.

I agree with others : although it would be fab to stay at the Palazzo Sasso, it's too much effort getting there for one or two nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -