Best way to get from Malpensa to Rome

May 23rd, 2001, 06:01 AM
SusanG

Best way to get from Malpensa to Rome

My plane from Chicago lands in Malpensa/Milan. American no longer flies to Rome at all. What is the best way to get from MXP to Rome? I can take a one hour shuttle flight on Alitalia (which means switching from intl to domestic in airport), or I can take a train. I am not spending any time in Milan. My itinerary is set and this was a last minute airline mandated change. Thanks for any help.
Susan

May 23rd, 2001, 07:14 AM
SteveJames

Hello Susan,

Looks like the Alitalia shuttle's the best option, - though I've never used it.

The alternative is a 50-minute bus ride to Milan Centrale railway station, then a 4hour 30minutes train ride by EUROSTAR (high-speed train) to Rome.

The fares are:-
13.000 Lire approx. Malpensa-Milan Centrale (bus)
87.000 Lire EUROSTAR (2nd class) OR
129.600 " " (1st class)

Hope this helps...

Steve

May 23rd, 2001, 09:21 AM
SusanG

Thanks Steve. Does anyone out there have experience with the Alitalia shuttle?

May 23rd, 2001, 11:35 AM
Walter

Alitalia's website was down so I couldn't check but I went in the opposite direction last March. The AC is either a MD-80 or 82, which is a single aisle twin engine jet. I've only done 2 Alitalia domestic connections (Rome-Venice, Rome-Milan) with no problems. I've heard that on these jets it's better to sit in the front or middle. Because the engines are mounted on the rear fuselage so it's noisier in the rear seats. HTH Regards, Walter

May 23rd, 2001, 11:44 AM
ellen

I didn't fly on the same route but I did fly Alitalia from Milan to Paris last fall and it was fine.

May 23rd, 2001, 03:15 PM
Tina

Susan:

Easiest & quickest to fly.

I've not flown the Alitalia shuttle; have flown Alitalia (code-share w/Continental) TO Italy and I've flown another carrier from Pisa to Milan. It should be a quick flight, so not too painful. There are other carriers between Milan--Rome, however think they're going from Linate rather than Malpensa.

As Steve has said, you'd have to take the train from Malpensa and then the EuroStar (which are the quickest trains) will take 4 1/2 hrs to get down to Rome --- essentially, you'll spend the better part of your first day traveling.

May 27th, 2001, 03:08 AM
Leslie

We flew into Malpensa last month and connected to Rome on the one hour Alitalia flight...it was just fine. I don't know what you mean about changing from the international to domestic terminal at Malpensa though...MXP is not very large and is very modern and well designed. After you come thorough baggage claim, just take the elevator or escalator upstairs to the check-in/arrival area and get your boarding passes for Alitalia...it's not very far to the Alitalia gates. I found the best fare for the one-way tickets through Lowestfare.com. I can't imagine wasting the time to come into Milan central and make your way to yet another train and a long trip to Rome after an overseas flight...I don't even think you'd find it cheaper than flying. Our one-way tickets were about $150 each. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread