Best way to get from Malpensa Airport to Varenna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be arriving at the Malpensa Airport on Monday, April 16th at 13:50 and will be heading to Varenna. From what I have researched it looks like I will need to get to Milan Central and take the train to Varenna, but not sure how to get to the train station. I have read some conflicting information about the Malpensa Express vs the Bus. What is the best way to get there without taking a taxi? We aren't in any hurry, but would like to get Varenna and get settled in before evening.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 04:30 PM

My last trip into Malpensa, I took the Express train. But, before the train began operation, I rode the bus many times into Milano Centrale. You will not be arriving at heavy traffic time, so the bus will be alright if you would rather. I think the travel time was about the same. You can go from the airport to another Milan station that is supposed to be closer to Varenna, but I still go to the central station. You go down to the ticket office to purchase your ticket onto Varenna. I tried to buy my ticket at the airport, but I was told they only sold tickets to Milan.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks scatcat.

I am confused because some information I read indicated that the Express train didn't go to Milano Centrale, so I just want to make sure it does. I didn't find anything about going to a different station to get to Milan is there and easier way? I read on one site that you could book a train from the Airport to Varenna, but haaven't found any more informationo on that. Also does it make a difference as to where we use and ATM to get Euros? I have read somethings that indicated the Airport ATMs may charge a high fee. I have checked with my Credit Union and there is no conversion fee just a $2 charge everytime I make a withdrawl at the ATM which is what they charge here. I didn't know if we should go ahead and get a large amount of funds at the Airport or wait until we reach the train station.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 07:15 AM

For years, the Malpensa Express train was between Milano Malpensa Airport and Milano Cadorna Train Station. For most travelers who need to g beyond Milan, it is necessary to take a train from Milano Centrale Train Station. Until recent years, Malpensa Airport and Milano Centrale were connected by express bus only. Now there is indeed a train connection between Malpensa Airport and Milano Centrale.

If your destination is Varenna, then it would be most efficient to travel from Milano Malpensa to Milano Centrale (by bus or train) and take a train from there to Varenna-Esino. Since these are trains without reserved seats or discounts, there is no need to book ahead.

There is another route from Milano Malpensa to Lake Como that avoids backtracking to Milan, but it may not be as efficient for you. From Milano Malpensa, take a train to Saronno. At Saronno, switch to a train to Como. This train stops at the city of Como at the south end of the lake. From here, you could catch a boat/ferry or land bus to the mid-lake area of Bellagio, Menaggio, and Varenna. . . More connections than the train via Milano Centrale.

No Italian ATM that is associated with a bank will charge you a fee. The fees will come from your own bank. So if the ATM at the airport is a bank ATM as opposed to some private ATM, you should be fine.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 07:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are Malpensa Express trains to both Milano Centrale and Milano Cadorna Nord stations in the city center. You can connect at Centrale to a train to Varenna Esino (the full station name) and buy the entire ticket at the airport. Departures that work for you on 4/16/12 are at 3:22 p.m. and 4:22 p.m. (and later).

http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html

A slightly more complicated but scenic way to reach Varenna: Take the Malpensa Express train to Saronno (one of the stops on the way to Cadorna Nord) and connect to a train to the town of Como. Then walk a short distance to the ferry dock and ride the ferry up the lake to Varenna.

If you decide to go through Centrale, use the ATM at the airport because the train connecting time at Centrale is 15 minutes. Easily enough time to move to the correct platform but perhaps not enough time to look for an ATM in the enormous station.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 09:18 AM

Jean

Where at the airport can I buy the ticket to Varenna? The ticket office where I bought my Express train ticket to Milano Centrale told me they did not sell any other tickets.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

I was checking the out the train to Saronno, but don't know which Como station to travel to where we can get the ferry to Varenna.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 09:26 AM

Como Lago (the closest station to the lake) would be best
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

I am leaning toward the Saronno to Como to Varenna route since I think it will get us there earlier and at about the same cost, plus we get to relax and enjoy the sites on the way. Do you know long the ferry trip is from Como Lago to Varenna?
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 10:30 AM

scatcat, oops! I should have mentioned you'd need to go to the airport travel agency to buy Malpensa-Centrale-Varenna train tickets. If you plan to depart Varenna by train, you can also buy that ticket at the same time. The Varenna train station is unmanned.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 12:20 PM

There are a bunch of different boats and services, some faster, some slower. You have to look at the different schedules to see all the options. Also, not every ferry goes to Varenna, and the fastest boats don't offer much of a view. Depending on the schedule at the time of day that you are traveling, you might have to transfer at Bellagio or Menaggio to a different boat. Also, (That's why train to Varenna has more appeal to me.)

http://www.navlaghi.it/eng/news.asp?ID=80
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

After checking the ferry schedule it looks like we will be taking the train from Milano Centrale to Varenna. Thanks for all the help.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:39 AM

Thanks for this. It's very helpful.

We will be going on to Venice after visiting the lakes. Is it best to backtrack to Milan (Milan Centrale???) and catch the train?
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:16 AM

Going back to Milano Centrale is the most direct way. Other options (via Bergamo for example) require more connections and take longer.