Best way to get from Genova to Milan

Aug 10th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Best way to get from Genova to Milan

We are going on a Mediterranean cruise next month. One of the stops is Genoa. We thought since we were near? Milan we would go as we have heard that it is a must if possible. It is feasible given that we only have the day to spend?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Aug 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM

You can find out if trains can get you there and back:

http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html

Is this a 10am-6pm 8hrs stop over deal?

The train part alone even if all goes right is 110min x 2 = 220min --> ~4hrs. Adding usual train delays, trip from the dock to the train station x2, trip from Milan station to the center x2, you can compute how much time you have left in Milan.

I am guessing that you don't want to use the cruise company provided excursion.

Are you sure you don't want to spend a day at the Ligurian coast instead?
Aug 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM

While I thoroughly enjoyed Milan, Genoa didn't disappoint either. There's plenty to keep you entertained - walking the medieval alleys and via Garibaldi, visiting some magnificent churches and palazzi, and perusing the shops along the sotoripa at Porto Antico. Some of our best meals of this recent trip were in Genoa. (You have to have a pesto dish and take part in the aperitivo tradition if you're there in the evening.)
Aug 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM

I second Greg. I would not rate Milano as a "must", and would stay around Genoa. There is quite a bit to see in Genoa, which was a very important city "back in the day." If you don't want to do that, get a car or take the train and go south to Portofino (if you like to be where the "beautiful people" are), or take the car to the Cinque Terre and hike along the cliffs overlooking the sea.
Aug 10th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We are there 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. I can see that we would spend most of the time travelling. My friend just wanted to shop in Milan. The excursion provided by the cruise company was more a site seeing tour.
I think that you are probably right that we should see the area instead. Any suggestions on best things to do there??? Our husbands are going to Cinque Terre to hike.
Aug 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Ah, shopping in Milan. Then it is even less productive to go there. Many shops are closed from lunch time to around 4pm.

This is even more so in smaller cities. So if shopping is an objective, then you have to plan to do it before lunch or after 4pm.