Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from Dusseldorf airport to Cologne aka Koln?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Anna

We will be flying to Dusseldorf May 1st and landing on our 10th anniversary......exhausted no doubt as we live in a rural area on the West coast of the USA and it will be 3 flights to get to Dusseldorf. My husband really wants to see the cathedral in Koln especially. I have read Koln is much more interesting city than Dusseldorf and we want to be someplace nice on our anniversary, so would prefer Koln as long as it's not much further/hassle than getting into Dusseldorf city would be. Does anyone know if there is a train at the airport in Dusseldorf that you can take to get to Koln? Anyone have advise/info to give? <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 08:07 PM
Russ

There are direct connections between Düsseldorf airport train station and Cologne which take about 30-40 min. A shuttle bus takes you from the terminals to the station, which lies just east of the airport.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 01:28 AM
Miriam

Hello Anna, <BR>if you are tired after a transatlantic flight I would take a taxi to Cologne. Imagine that you`ll have to haul your luggage! The taxi will cost you ca. 120 DM, I know it`s not cheap, but the alternative Russ has recommended will cost you ca. 50 DM, as well. <BR>And please Anna stay in the "Hotel am Dom". It`s right across the cathedral, most of the rooms have a view of it. <BR>I always stay there when I`m in Cologne on business ( several times a month). It`s a very classy, old-style hotel with the best service you can imagine. A perfect place for an anniversary. When I stayed there the second time the concierge even remembered my name as walked in. A plus, besides being in a nice hotel is that you`re in the center of Cologne, close to good shopping and a lot of nice restaurants and bars. <BR>If you are into more trendy, stylish places consider the "Hotel am Wasserturm". It`s a transformed, old water-tower, with a lot of flair and modern decorated rooms. It`s not in the city center, but still worth staying at. <BR> <BR>If you have further questions just drop me a line. <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 01:40 AM
Miriam

Sorry, I forgot one thing. <BR>If you choose to go by train... the "Hotel am Dom" is 3 min. from the main train station in Cologne, which is directly next to the cathedral (Dom) <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 03:24 AM
Larry

The fare for the DB train from Dusseldorf airport to Cologne HBF is 15,50 DM according to the DB web site schedule not 50 DM. That's far less expensive than a taxi.