Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from CDG to Marais arrondissement?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time in Paris...what's the best way to get from the airport to the Marais arrondissement? Our hotel is on Rue Saint Bon, just off the Rue de Rivoli. I have read there are shuttles buses, private cars and taxi's, but have been told do NOT take a taxi. Other than that, HELP!!!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Why on earth have you been told not to take a tax? I always take a taxi. I personally hate schlepping into town won the RER/métro after an all-night flight. The Air France shuttle takes you into town, but you'd then have to take a taxi or métro to continue to your hotel.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:35 AM

I agree with taking a taxi. I'm not sure why you were told not to take one other than the cost? To me it's more than worth it for convenience after a 10+ hour flight.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:37 AM

I'm kind of a cheapie, but I like to take a taxi to and from airports. It's just so easy! We did take a limo service from CDG to our apartment on Ile Saint Louis one time, but I'm pretty sure it was no more economical than a taxi.

I'm sure others will have other suggestions.

Enjoy Paris.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:43 AM

A taxi sure feels good after a long flight, but there are other ways. Air France runs a bus service from CDG into the city. There are a couple of routes, but in your situation, the bus from CDG to Gare de Lyon would work well, and then a short taxi ride from the station to your hotel.

The Air france bus routes, schedules, fares, and pick-up points are on the Aéroports de Paris website (www.aeroportsdeparis.fr). Click on the Union Jack for the English version.

Anselm
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:45 AM

I'd say do NOT take a taxi that isn't an official Parisian one. The kind you wait in line for at arrivals and has a light on top.

I always avoid the people accosting me at baggage claim offering me a taxi. You may or may not get taken advantage of by them.

That being said I rarely take a cab. I pack lightly enough that I take the RER/Metro into Paris. I stand on the train. After hours of sitting on an airplane I don't want to sit in a taxi.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Well, for me the limited Air France bus stops is the drawback. In many instances you will need to take a taxi anyway.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:39 AM

If you decide on the train: RER B goes direct from CDG Terminal 2D to the Châtelet station. If you aren't intimidated by its hugeness (five Métro and three RER lines intersect there) or hustle and bustle, it would be a logical choice, because Rue St-Bon is diagonally across the Tour St-Jacques square from the station.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:30 PM

I don't guess there's any problem with taking a taxi, but I see no particular advantage either. We stayed in a similar location (in the 1st on Rue de Rivoli) and took the Roissybus from CDG to Opera Garnier and then walked (all of 4-5 blocks if you know EXACTLY what you're doing). In your case, you could catch a cab at Opera Garnier and I'd think that the total cost (incluidng the Roissybus) would be substantially less than a taxi from CDG to your hotel - and would likely be about as quick as taxi only.

KC
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM

I have used bee-shuttle in the past. While it is cheaper than a taxi if you have more than two people, you need to be aware that they will be picking up and dropping off additional passengers as you go.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
For myself, I'm forced to take one due to problems. David, How do I tell a real taxi?
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 07:18 PM

If I may - the Parisien taxis are licensed and have the little white 'dome' on top. I think you are meant to avoid the maverick taxis who are not regulated and don't have the 'dome' and no reference to "Taxi Parisien".

Here are great and informative couple of sites about taxis in Paris:

http://infotaxiparis.free.fr/index.htm
http://www.taxi-paris.net/
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you travelnut.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 12:40 AM

Also cigalechanta, real taxis can only be had at the taxi stand. People offering you rides into the city while you are walking through the airport are at best illegial and at worst dangerous.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 01:09 AM

Personally, unless it is late at night, I always take the RER to Gare du Nord and follow the taxi signs to the rank there and take a taxi the rest of the way - I don't like Chatelet station even though it is closer to the Marais. The taxi from Gare du Nord to the Marais would be about 15 Euros depending on time of day.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 05:58 AM

If you've an aversion to Chatelet, St-Michel station is <u>much</u> closer to Rue St-Bon than Gare du Nord is. A minimum cab fare of 5.20 euros would get you there.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 11:35 AM

We go directly to the taxi stand in leaving CDG--otherwise you are paying pp, have to wait for others to be dropped off or start dealing with ongoing transport. In the end, it is only a bit more and u can sit back and relax. U r off to a good start and don't wind up wasting time when your energy is at a low point after a long, enclosed flight.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Just a question re: taxi vs other transport into Paris.

What would one expect to pay for a taxi into the center of Paris, say around Notre Dame?

I may cancel my shuttle reservation.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Taxi Parisien costs about 45 euro to central Paris where Notre Dame is located.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 02:02 PM

lowcountrycarol: From CDG to the 5th (Rue Monge) which is just past your Notre Dame area, the taxi fare (on a Tuesday morning around 10:30 AM) was 38 Euro. Two folk with only carry on bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -