Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best way to get from Brugge to Basel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-way-to-get-from-brugge-to-basel-315367/)

madwen May 9th, 2003 05:16 PM

Best way to get from Brugge to Basel

I'll be in Brugge in September and then need to get to Basel to start a river cruise. What is the best way to get there? I'd like to break it up into a two-day trip. What would be a good route?

usbeauty May 9th, 2003 05:31 PM

One alternative would be to train from Bruges to Brussels and change there for the trip to Strasbourg, France, heart of the Alsace region. It's a quick train ride the next day from Strasbourg to Basel.

Budman May 9th, 2003 05:53 PM

madwen -- I'm assuming you are driving? Luxembourg would be a nice place to stop and visit. Also, Strasbourg is very nice place. Flip a coin.

madwen May 10th, 2003 12:46 PM

I will be taking the train. Strasbourg is a stop on my cruise. Still, I like the idea of going that way. I read a post here that suggested the train trip from Brussels to Basel was uninteresting, so I'd appreciate hearing other opinions.

usbeauty May 10th, 2003 12:52 PM

Well - I love trains and no train trip is uninteresting! But it is fairly mundane. The best part of the trip is the Basel train station, which rests on the border of France and Switzerland, so you cross through the border while inside the station! Very cool. Since Strasbourg is a stop on your cruise, you may want to check out Mulhouse or Colmar, other quaint towns in that region.

Andre May 10th, 2003 02:33 PM

Madwen,

How about this: train to Brussels airport, then fly Virgin Express (very cheap one way fares) to Geneva. Overnight in Geneva, Lausanne, Vevey or Montreux then take the train to Basel (hourly service with travel time of 2-3 hours).

Train schedules:
www.rail.ch

Flights:
www.virginexpress.com

Hope this helps,
Andre

CharlieB May 10th, 2003 03:53 PM

madwen - another option would be a train to Cologne - worth a day and then another train down the Rhine to Basel with possible layovers in Baden-Baden or Freiburg

madwen May 12th, 2003 09:15 PM

These are all good ideas and are really adding to the joy of planning the trip. I know it's not until September, but I enjoy the planning almost as much as the trip.
Since my husband and I are both directionally challenged, I was reluctant to rent a car and opted for trains. But the more I read here and talk to others about their trips, I may rent a car. Would you advise the same routes if I were driving?

usbeauty May 13th, 2003 08:07 AM

Hi again madwen. One thing about driving is that you can pull into a city, large or small, and if you don't like it, or it's not where your head is at, you're outta there! I remember driving to Rouen, spending a few hours doing things I wanted to do, then leaving for other places. It's harder to do that on a train due to schedules, bag schlepping etc.

madwen May 13th, 2003 08:42 AM

usbeauty, did you have any trouble driving there the first time? I know it's a hassle to lug luggage and catch trains, but so is getting lost, holding up traffic and . . . I could go on, but you see my concern. I live in the Napa Valley, and we {and by "we" I don't mean me" can spend a whole evening relating stories of tourists on the road. I would really love to rent a car, I'm just looking for the confidence to do so.

usbeauty May 13th, 2003 08:52 AM

Madwen, I've gotten lost in Napa Valley too, but I think it has to do with imbibing and not my directional skills ;-

I think you'll be fine. I put off renting a car in Europe for years, but when I took the plunge it was easy and offered a new dimension to my trip. Like any road trip, a detailed road map is mandatory so buy one before you leave. A rental car brings a freeing sensation to your trip.

usbeauty May 13th, 2003 08:53 AM

Oh and if you drive from Brugge, you can make the wonderful car trip through the Belgian Ardennes on the way to France/Switzerland.