Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   best way to get from Barcelona airport to hotel at Plaza Catalunya (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-way-to-get-from-barcelona-airport-to-hotel-at-plaza-catalunya-889613/)

ekellyga May 6th, 2011 10:35 AM

best way to get from Barcelona airport to hotel at Plaza Catalunya

We will have four adults traveling together. Our luggage will be quite limited.
I believe there are bus methods that would take us right to the Plaza Catalunya, but I might also want to consider a cab.

What would be an approximate cab fare for this trip? What would be an appropriate tip for the driver? If we take the bus service, do you know where we would find the bus when we are at the airport?

Thanks much,
EK

Robert2533 May 6th, 2011 10:48 AM

The airport bus (Aerobus) can be found directly outside of the arrivals terminals.

A taxi will cost around €35 to the center of the city, including the airport surcharge, and can handle four adults, three in the back seat, one in the front seat. There is a €1/bag for all luggage handled by the driver. You typically do not tip taxi drivers more than rounding up to the nearest Euro.

You might what to read Maribel's Guide to Barcelona for additional information (www.maribelsguides.com).

lincasanova May 6th, 2011 12:03 PM

the bus will leave you right at the plaza catalunya.

el13207 May 6th, 2011 05:51 PM

Another vote for the Aerobus. We did this late March and picked it up right out of the terminal, the tickets cost only 5+ euros each, the bus takes you right to Placa Catalunya. it could not be easier (luggage goes in luggage rack,can't remember if it was underneath bus or inside, but it was easy); buy tickets outside the bus itself, cash only. Why pay all that extra $ for a cab when the bus is SO easy??

Robert2533 May 6th, 2011 06:37 PM

"Why pay all that extra $ for a cab when the bus is SO easy??" If you have the money, why not? I prefer taking a taxi to my hotel, especially if it is a 4 or 5-star property. It might fall under having a "sense of style", or just not wanting to take the bus.

dreamon May 6th, 2011 11:30 PM

We took the train and it was fine. Don't know whether that would be better or worse than the bus.

lincasanova May 7th, 2011 01:43 AM

with 4 adults.. unless your hotel is smack in the plaza, a taxi may be much more comfortable and in this case, not horrendously more per person even if you are looking to save a few euros.

danon May 7th, 2011 07:37 AM

"Why pay all that extra $ for a cab when the bus is SO easy??"

"the tickets cost only 5+ euros each"

Most hotels are not next to the bus stop, why would one drag the luggage all over town or take a cab to a hotel from Catalunya ( or metro)
People spend thousands on a trip , but make sure they save a few euros ( the bus would be 20+ euros for 4 ) on taxis. Beats me.

Cowboy1968 May 7th, 2011 08:08 AM

ditto what danon said

The difference between cab and bus won't break your bank (bus €26.20, taxi appr. €25-30, incl. luggage and AP surcharge, depending on traffic).

Many cabs are Seat Altea minivans (by US standards maybe more a "microvan"), and can handle quite some luggage.
If you arrive at the new Terminal 1, there will be a person at the taxi rank assisting you in getting one of the bigger cabs.

ekellyga May 7th, 2011 08:30 AM

so a traveler doesn't have to worry about "cowboy" cabs, ie, unlicensed...try to charge you anything types? They have a meter and the fee will be 30 euro or so?
Thanks again

lincasanova May 7th, 2011 09:55 AM

here you are:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...transport.html

danon May 7th, 2011 10:22 AM

"so a traveler doesn't have to worry about "cowboy" cabs, ie, unlicensed...try to charge you anything types? They have a meter and the fee will be 30 euro or so?"

We have taken cabs in various cities in Spain and never had a problem. There IS a legitimate surcharge in most cities for to (or from)airport and train station ( and luggage)
It is not a rip-off !

Cowboy1968 May 7th, 2011 01:07 PM

I'll try to ignore the "cowboy" cab remark ;-)

Taxi fares (per km) vary daytime vs. nighttime hours and working days vs. holidays. So two people can pay a different fare for the same trip if they start on a tuesday afternoon vs. saturday at midnight.

Surcharges apply not only for airports, but can also apply for train stations, the port, fairgrounds etc.
Surcharges for luggage exist in some cities, in others not.

What you pay in Barcelona is:
- the initial fee (around €2 or less)
- the price per kilometer (depends on time of day etc.)
- an airport surcharge of €3.10 (for the ride, not per person)
- a luggage surcharge of €1 per piece

To top it all off, there is a minimum fare for all rides FROM the airport of €20.

I often stay near Pl. Espanya at the Western edge of Eixample which is an area where even with the surcharges the total fare is sometimes less than €20 (maybe €18/19). So then I have to pay €20, instead of the actual fare.

What some cabbies *could* try is to fool around with the minimum fare and add the surcharges after "rounding up" to €20. That is not legal.
The cab driver has to add all surcharges FIRST, and if that total is still less than €20, he may apply the minimum fare of €20.