Reload this Page >

Best way to come in to Venice from the rental car drop off area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:58 PM
lauren

Once my husband and I drop off our rental car outside of Venice, we have to find transportation into the city. Any good suggestions? We are renting from Eurocar. <BR>Thanks

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 09:09 PM
Rex

You CAN actually walk, if you wish - - or get a vaporetto (involves few hundred yards of walking, I think) - - or you will undoubtedly be swarmed by water taxi guys - - the best way. <BR> <BR>Beware - - they will insist on carting your bags for you, and they will DEMAND a tip (10.000 per person, maybe 20.000) for having carried them to the taxi for you. I don't believe that you can reasonably get out if it, but you might try insisting that you want to carry your own bags to the taxi (if that's what you want). And second beware: they will quote you one price (100.000 or 120.00 for six people on a redent trip of mine - - I don't know how much for two people) - - at the beginning of the trip, and a different price at the end. I believe that you CAN resist this. Just walk away. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 03:31 AM
nancy

topping for more. <BR>thanks Rex. <BR>will need this info next may

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:52 AM
elaine

Lauren, <BR>just curious as to what you mean by "outside Venice." <BR>Many people drop off cars in Mestre, the city across the bridge from Venice. <BR>If that's you, you can take a train one stop to Venice's Santa Lucia station, and then it's a (water) bus or (water) taxi to your hotel. <BR>If you're leaving your car near <BR>the airport, or near Piazzelle Roma, the giant car park and surface-bus area, then you are on the outer fringe of Venice itself, and again, it would be a water bus or taxi into the heart of Venice.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Joe

Most of the auto rental drop-offs are across the canal from the train station. We have wheeled our luggage from the station to this area; slow, but not difficult. "Best" is water taxi. I have had no trouble in maitaining the agreed upon price and tips are optional. We did wheel our luggage right up to the boat. Bit pricey. Next best is Vaporetto #82 (the fastest, limited stops) or #1 (the slowest, stops everywhere). Depending on time of day, it might be difficult to get on a vaporetto with luggage. If you go vapporetto, be sure to be on left side to board. Right side is for exit. You will get no help from crew/staff and little consideration from other riders. Just the way it is, but we've done it and it is a scenic ride.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:34 AM
PJ

Lauren, <BR>We dropped our car off at the Venice airport in Sept of 99. i was concerned, but it was not difficult. We dropped the car, and then took a bus (located outside the airport entrance and easy to find) to P. Roma. There, it was easy to catch a vaporetto to our hotel (Giorgione). It was a short walk to out hotel. We took the bus back to the airport for our return, and flew to the US from there. <BR>PJ