Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best way to book Paris hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-way-to-book-paris-hotel-160113/)

Lisa Feb 13th, 2002 08:06 AM

Best way to book Paris hotel?

I haven't seen this issue discussed too often, soI thought I would ask. We want to book hotel in Paris in May. How do we find the best rates? Call the hotels directly? I know there is one site where I can book online and they have Grand Hotel des Balcons, but they charge around $26 for the booking. Also, a a site like smallandeleganthotels.com (I think that is what it is called) seems to offer more expensive rates for hotels than I see posted by travelers on Fodors. Any suggestions?

lisa Feb 13th, 2002 08:50 AM

I booked directly by e-mail with Grand Hotel des Balcons. I think the address was [email protected].

Lisa Feb 13th, 2002 09:32 AM

Thanks for the e-mail address. I will give it a try.

Christina Feb 13th, 2002 09:37 AM

Most Paris hotel websites I know of offer the same rates the hotel does, some even occasionally have discounts (ie, www.123france.com or www.parishotels.com), which I have gotten. Some websites seem to offer slightly higher prices but I think it is because they only offer a certain room category, not sure (like www.hotelboulevard.com). Anyway, that hotel is on www.parishotels.com and as far as I know there is no booking fee on that site. I would never pay a booking fee, but that one is outrageous.

Bob Brown Feb 13th, 2002 10:37 AM

In Paris, I had the email address and concluded the reservation that way, for September.<BR>In Munich, I had had several friendly chats last year with the manager of the hotel. When I called her for reservations this year, she remembered me and the job was a breeze. Then, for formality, we exchanged email.<BR>

John H Feb 13th, 2002 10:34 PM

Hi, Lisa,<BR><BR>I agree with the advice of the others. I normally fax or e-mail the hotel with an inquiry, then confirm the offer by faxing back a credit card. (I NEVER e-mail credit card information; I always do this by fax). I also will normally see if there is a price quote on the Internet that I can use for comparison purposes. However, as one of the other posters mentioned, room types differ and you need to make sure you are doing an "apples to apples" comparison of prices. By faxing or e-mailing the hotel, I know explicitly what kind of room I am being charged for (e.g., superior versus standard room).<BR><BR>Have a great trip.<BR><BR>John H

ron Feb 14th, 2002 03:30 AM

Just to add. <BR>1. I have gotten most times better deals or at least the same rates by asking the hotels directly if they can give a good rate. Sometimes you can save, sometimes you come out even. But it is always worth sending an e-mail. It doesn't cost anything to ask. And if you can get the same rate, ALWAYS go directly with the hotel for the reason below.<BR><BR>2. I avoid at all costs (pun intended) working through those Internet sites not simply because most charge booking fees, but in addition they have rediculous cancelation charges. They will charge 1 night stay if you cancel once after making the reservation--regardless if you make it months in advance. Most hotels when booking directly have at mimimum a 24 hour up to a 72 hour cancelation charge. So if you need to change you can do so freely with no strings attached. More than the booking fees, which are around US$10, 25 to $50, beware of the cancellation penalties, as 1 night will be a lot more. <BR><BR>For last January I contacted a hotel directly in Paris, in fact. Those booking sites were all quoting at the time 670 francs. The hotel even had the same rate on its site. I still sent an e-mail to the hotel and asked what was the best rate they could give. They replied, "500 francs" (about 76 Euros). The hotel was fine. Some people will balk at the fact that the hotel was in the 10th. I found that it was close to transport, inexpensive, very friendly, included a nice breakfast, shopping nearby. I'd go back there again just because I like doing business with places that will give the little guy a break, and are willing to offer a bargain for decent accomodations. Called Hotel Moris Grand Boulevards. I am not sure of your price range, it's a 3 star hotel.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR>Ron<BR>

ron Feb 14th, 2002 03:34 AM

Just to add. <BR>1. I mainly use those booking sites for reference purposes only to get an idea of prices, locations, accomodations, etc.<BR><BR>2 I have gotten most times better deals or at least the same rates by asking the hotels directly if they can give a good rate. Sometimes you can save, sometimes you come out even. But it is always worth sending an e-mail. It doesn't cost anything to ask. And if you can get the same rate, ALWAYS go directly with the hotel for the reason below.<BR><BR>3. I avoid at all costs (pun intended) working through those Internet sites not simply because most charge booking fees, but in addition they have rediculous cancelation charges. They will charge 1 night stay if you cancel once after making the reservation--regardless if you make it months in advance. Most hotels when booking directly have at mimimum a 24 hour up to a 72 hour cancelation charge. So if you need to change you can do so freely with no strings attached. More than the booking fees, which are around US$10, 25 to $50, beware of the cancellation penalties, as 1 night will be a lot more. <BR><BR>For last January I contacted a hotel directly in Paris, in fact. Those booking sites were all quoting at the time 670 francs for a double. The hotel even had the same rate on its site. I still sent an e-mail to the hotel and asked what was the best rate they could give. They replied, "500 francs" (about 76 Euros). The hotel was fine. Some people will balk at the fact that the hotel was in the 10th. I found that it was close to transport, good value for the price, very friendly, included a nice breakfast, shopping nearby. I'd go back there again just because I like doing business with places that will give the little guy a break, and are willing to offer a bargain for decent accomodations. Called Hotel Moris Grand Boulevards. I am not sure of your price range, it's a 3 star hotel.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR>Ron<BR>