Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best way From Orly to Paris Arrondisement 9 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-way-from-orly-to-paris-arrondisement-9-a-932583/)

bquinons Apr 23rd, 2012 08:36 PM

Best way From Orly to Paris Arrondisement 9

Can you help me decide which is the best way to get from Orly to my hotel in arrondisement 9 (Pigalle area) around 8:30 pm?
We are four (2 adults and 2 kids) and we are looking for a nice price-convenience -time way to get to our hotel

These are the ones I found out:

Orlyval + RER : around 30 Euros + RER tickets from Anthony to Gare du Nord + taxi from there to our hotel. Estimated time:?

Paris Shuttle: 60 euros Estimated time: 1h15

Taxis: around 40 euros (is that true? if it is so, could you recommend me a decent taxi company? even better if it's one that has a fixed price for the trip, I don't like meters, I think that there is a possibility that the taxi driver can take the longest way to charge more ... I know it's probably only the minority of the cases, but makes me feel nervous)

There were other ways that arrived to stations far away from the pigalle station.

Which transport means would you take?

nukesafe Apr 23rd, 2012 10:09 PM

Taxi.

Get one from the rank outside the arrival area. Do not listen to anyone who wants to sell you a taxi ride inside the airport building. They will really take you for a ride. The Taxi Parisian will have a meter. They are almost always honest and will take you straight to your hotel by the shortest route. You pay what is on the meter, plus a Euro per bag after the first one in the trunk. The rates are clearly posted in the cab.

Don't worry, just get in the cab and relax and enjoy the ride. You will be in Paris!

bquinons Apr 24th, 2012 07:32 AM

Thank you nukesafe!

AlessandraZoe Apr 24th, 2012 08:39 AM

I second the taxi. With four persons, your cost pp in a taxi is very reasonable, and the sheer flexibility is unbeatable.

Christina Apr 24th, 2012 08:53 AM

That is a complicated process by public transportation, I'd take a taxi, also, although there are some shuttle vans you could book (many threads about them on here). There is no such thing in Paris as a "fixed price" for a taxi ride, taxi regulations are by mile/time with a meter (and surcharges for specific things like a bag in the trunk). You also do not pick and choose your taxi company, not sure how you intended to do that. You go to the taxi stand in the airport and get the next one free in the line. I suppose if you refused to use a certain brand you could wait, but don't know why you would do that.

If you don't like meters, take a shuttle van with a fixed price. There are private cars with fixed prices, also, of course, but by definition a taxi has a meter. I took a private car once for 60 euro (but from Paris to CDG) as it was a day that was really busy and few cabs were free so I didn't want to risk it.

If your kids are under 12, you should be able to get a discount on shuttle vans to make the price more like 48 euro than 60. If that is true, I might do that if I were you as you don't like meters. The price could easily be more than 40 euro for a taxi. Night rates are more expensive than day time FYI. The rate goes up about 15 pct after 5 pm, so if someone quoted you a 40 euro daytime taxi rate, it won't be that due to being at night.

StCirq Apr 24th, 2012 09:17 AM

Taxi.

Why are you staying in Pigalle?

bquinons Apr 24th, 2012 07:47 PM

I guess cultural differences ... I am from Peru, here you choose your taxi, and you have taxis that charge you whatever you want, specially if you don´t ask before, and trustable taxi companies with fixed price.

Thanks for the advice, looks like taxis are the best option and we don´t need to worry about the meter.

Why Pigalle? I messed up, didn´t do enough research, and ended up with a non cancellable reservation there at an ibis hotel.

Thanks for your help

AlessandraZoe Apr 25th, 2012 04:37 AM

"I messed up, didn't do enough research..."

How refreshing to hear someone be so honest. Good for you!

I hope you know that recent posters about your hotel have said that the "Ibis Styles" sign is missing from this hotel while it undergoes renovation and therefore some taxi drivers have had problems finding it.

Nevertheless, you probably know that the hotel was originally The Arcantis, so if you go to the address on Google Maps and select "Street View", you can get a visual as to where the label "Arcantis" is relative to other landmarks.

Please let us know if we can help you out with anything else.

AZ

bquinons Apr 25th, 2012 06:20 AM

AlessandraZoe, great advice!
We will be sooo tired after the flight (it´s like 16 hours), you saved us a bad moment.
I still have the hope the remodeled hotel is better than the previous one!

AlessandraZoe Apr 25th, 2012 06:34 AM

I totally understand. Well, the secret to life, as Annie LaMott always says, is lowering expectations. If you think the hotel is going to be a dump, anything better will be sublime. I was just on a trip to Colorado where I thought our hotel room and bed was going to be a nightmare. I warned my husband over and over and over again. It turned out to be lovely, and it was even better because we expected it to be bad.

No matter what...

YOU WILL BE IN PARIS

Montmartre was originally not my favorite area at all. Yeah, I loved Sacre Coeur (the kids and I climbed the steps to the tower in a lightning storm which was both stupid and really neat--imagine the Eiffel Tower flashing in lightning before we get electrocuted)... but I had a new appreciation for the area when one daughter and I took cooking classes with Eric at Cook n With Class there. Not only did we get to see the local markets through his eyes, but he told us how to see the area from the views of the Impressionists who lived and worked there.

So you might have the trip of all time :)