Best way from gatwick to high street

Jul 4th, 2002, 02:50 AM
john

Best way from gatwick to high street

Would like to know best way & price from gatwick airport Uk to high steet . GATWICK SHUTTLE TO VICTORIA STATION THEN TAXI 2 PEOPLE WITH 3 BAGS 2 BIG ONE SMALL bag thanks

Jul 4th, 2002, 03:15 AM
doh

High Street where? Kensington - Camden - Colchester High Street - we need more info before we can answer that one

Jul 4th, 2002, 03:30 AM
John

Sorry Kensington area hotel is off high street

Jul 4th, 2002, 03:44 AM
xxx

Cheapest way is Gatwick Express to Victoria and circle line train to High Street Kensington. Whether you want to deal with luggage on the Underground is another question.

Jul 4th, 2002, 05:08 AM
doh

agreed tat Train to Victoria will bete best option followed by Cab from there to the hotel. Look at the website: www.gatwickexpress.co.uk.

Cab will be about £15.

Jul 4th, 2002, 05:47 AM
janis

First of all, do you really need three suitcases for 2 people? Large suitcases are a real hassle whether you use a taxi, the tube, the train, a car service or a bus. Most folks easily manage with a small suitcase and smaller carry-on.

If you do end up taking that much luggage then your best bet is a car service which takes you from the airport to your hotel for a flat fee. 2nd best would be the train to Victoria and a cab to teh hotel. Train/tube would be very difficult lugging suitcases up and down stairs/escalators.

Be sure to say "KENSINGTON HIGH STREET" since there are over 100 high streets in London. (Saying High Street Kensington is also OK and what many locals call it - but the actual name is Kensington High Street)

Jul 4th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Ben Haines

At 37 minutes past each hour a train runs from Gatwick to Kensington Olympia, half a mile from High Street Kensington. With big luggage, one of you should wait at the station with the bags while the other walks 100 yards up to the main road, Hammersmith Road, to flag a taxi. With light luggage you can cross the platform (no stairs) to the District Line train, go two stops to High Street Kensington, and go upstairs to street level. Now a walk, a bus or a taxi to your hotel: I shall say which if you will kindly name your hotel or the street it is in. This route is useful, but not if you are ready for your train long before this direct train leaves. You can ask about that, or look it up on the departure sheets, before you buy your ticket. Queues (lines) for tickets can be long: it is then good to dare to use the ticket vending machines

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London

Ben Haines

Jul 4th, 2002, 08:57 AM
xxx

Ben:

Would you need a ticket for the Underground switch at Kensington-Olympic or will your rail ticket do in the turnstile?

Jul 4th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Ben Haines

I was afraid you would ask that. I do not know. If they sell it, you should buy at Gatwick a ticket to High Street Kensington. But if not, just a ticket from Gatwick to Kensington Olympia, then another to the High Street.

I write in the dark. Would you like to name your hotel or its street ? I can then be more precise.

Hen Haines

Jul 5th, 2002, 02:46 AM
john c

att: Ben H. my hotel is the copthorne tara london scarsdale place off of hornton/wrights street thanks john

Jul 5th, 2002, 05:25 AM
janis

Your hotel is about mid-way between Earls Court and High St Kens. There is District Line service from Kensington Olympia to Earls Court and you could walk from there if you don't have much luggage.

Jul 5th, 2002, 05:27 AM
janis

I hit "post" too fast. . . . I meant to add but with the large bags you mentioned I would just take a cab.

Jul 5th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Ben Haines

That?s odd. My street atlas says Scarsdale Place, off Wright?s Lane, south of Hornton Street, is immediately west of High Street Kensington station. So I change my advice. If you use the direct train you should leave it at Kemsington Olympia. With heavy bags, as I say, one of you waits while the other hails a taxi. With light bags you walk them the 100 yards to Hammersmith Road, and without crossing that road take busses 9, 10, or 27 to High Street Kensington underground station.

Ben Haines

Jul 5th, 2002, 01:57 PM
janis

Oops Ben, you are right. I was thinking Scarsdale Villas which is closer to Earls court. Scarsdale Place is as you say - nearer High St Kensington tube.

Jul 6th, 2002, 03:42 AM
johnc

Thanks Ben & Janis I will take the Gatwick express to Victoria station then a taxi I will be flying in from a 8 day trip to Malta and another 5 in london that's why so much luggage 3 bags thanks again John C

Jul 6th, 2002, 04:17 AM
Simon

Ben: With luggage, I would prefer to take the Airbus, and a taxi for the last bit. i found that using the train (had to stand up all the way) and the train (they closed down the Thameslink station and Victoria line and had no-one to explain what you were supposed to do...hell, do they think everyone can understand the cockney accent blaring out on the PA ... downright stupid people ... I had to carry my luggage twice the distance I used a taxi for to get to Thameslink in the first place. John, follow Ben's advice...he always knows what he is saying, but see what he thinks about the Airbus...it's cheaper and more convenient...Ben your comments please.
BTW, are you okay with your visit to Malta ? Hope you enjoy it, but be warned, it's very hot here !

Jul 6th, 2002, 04:33 AM
why

Why does janis give a s*** how much luggage someone takes.

Jul 6th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Ben Haines

For John. The queue (line) for a taxi at Victoria is a deal longer thn the pause on Hammersmith road next to Olympia to flag one down.

Simon: Thanks for your kind words. I think the airbus runs from Heathrow. in any case, a bus trip from Gatwick will be long and slow, due to taffic.

Ben Haines

Jul 6th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Simon

Ben: They re-started the service from Gatwick in June. True it's slow, but it sure is more comfortable than struggling around with luggage on the tube !

Jul 6th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Ben Haines

I agree. The transport from Gatwick to London Olympia is an above-ground train, and I have suggested a taxi for the half mile from Olympia to High Street Kensington. No tube is involved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO