Vienna Boy's Choir

Search

Vienna Boy's Choir

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna Boy's Choir

We will be visiting Vienna in March/April 2012 and would like to watch their performance. I heard that booking is required. So can some kind soul tell us how to do it. Do we require tickets if we attend mass on Sunday and will we be able to go in?

Spuddy
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't buy a ticket, I stood in the narthex where they have TV monitors focused on both the choir and the mass.

Take a look at this comment by someone else:
http://europeforvisitors.com/switzau...oys_choir3.htm
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:38 AM

Yes, you need tickets to Sunday Mass and you cannot see the boys from most seats. Also you may not be sitting together even though your tickets are numbered consecutively (that happened to the people sitting next to us - the husband was in our section and his wife was in another section).

I've seen them at the Chapel during Mass and during a performance in the US. I would opt for a performance if you can find one.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 01:48 PM

I totally agree that just realize depending on your ticket you will be in a separate room with a TV monitor. Sorry.. but I thought it was not worth the hype.. The most fun was seeing them all go outside afterwards, some joined by their parents to go home, others walking in groups of three and four, but happily posing for photos. They are adorable.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 07:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Have to respectfully disagree with lincasanova, I did not have a ticket but chose to stand in the narthex (vestibule) and very much enjoyed seeing the mass and the boys on the TV monitors. I have seen the choir in the US for many performances and found their singing at mass was very special. Being in the narthex allows you to view what many of those seated don't get to see. At the end of mass, they do ascend to the altar for a final song so everyone gets to see them.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:12 PM

I have no idea where I was seated ( probably the cheapest place many years ago). There were a couple rows of wooden chairs crammed in this tiny place on an upper floor where we could see NOTHING except the tiny TV screen. I could see the arch in front of me, if I recall and the other side of the inside of the building.. but nothing in particular if I remember. I was with several other friends and they were glad to have gone, but disappointed in where we were seated.

I didn't feel like I was "watching"them. The TV monitor actually spoiled it for me. I have never been at a live concert and had to watch it on television. At least if we had known that beforehand, I don't think it would have been as disappointing.

Hopefully they have improved the whole situation. This WAS 10 years ago so maybe my comment is obsolete.