Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best way for getting around Turkey for May anniversary trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-way-for-getting-around-turkey-for-may-anniversary-trip-962905/)

itsv Jan 15th, 2013 11:49 AM

Best way for getting around Turkey for May anniversary trip

Hello my DH and I are taking our 2nd honeymoon 25 years late. We are planning on visiting Greece and Turkey. For the Turkey part I was planning on visiting Istanbul, Cappadocia and Epheseus. I also want to try and do a "Blue Cruise" of the coast however where in my plans would that detour best fit and what is the best way of getting there. We normally don't mind renting a car and driving but in reading others' tripe reports I get the idea that traveling by plane is the best way. Also how to get from Cappadocia to Epheseus is also appreciated. Any suggestions or help you can give is appreciated.
Thank you.

Michael Jan 15th, 2013 12:35 PM

We drove. You might want to take a look at my trip report; click on my name to find it. If a cruise is in the works, you might want to reverse the order of the trip we took, returning the car on the coast to take your cruise.

kja Jan 15th, 2013 05:59 PM

I drove and was glad I did, but I think it depends on where, exactly, you want to spend time; your preferred travel pace and style; your time frame; and your budge.

You might find some useful information in my trip report . Just click on my name to find it.

itsv Jan 17th, 2013 12:28 PM

Thank you both for your replies. We don't mind driving but do not really want to me spending all of our time in the car just to get from place to place. We have driven internationally before with no problem. Our time frame is two weeks in Turkey. We are going to do 4 nights in Istanbul and then the rest is still up in the air. The blue cruises I saw online look nice and may be something we want to do. We also want to see Ephesus and we need to get to Fethiye if we want to do a blue cruise. We are still in the planning stages but want to figure out the best way to get around Turkey. We figured we would fly from Istanbul to Cappadocia. From there is it best to drive or some other means of transportation. Also along that route what should be a "not miss."

Thank you again for the help. We very much appreciate it.

yorkshire Jan 17th, 2013 12:48 PM

I flew from Istanbul to Cappadocia (stayed in Goreme)--into Kayseri and out of Nevsehir.
The website www.turkeytravelplanner.com/ is a great resource and should help you determine how to fly from Cappadocia to the coast, a common itinerary. Some flights on low coast carriers are seasonal. Only by plugging all the info in can you determine if best to visit coast or Cappadocia first.
I thin four days is a minimum for Istanbul, as not only is there tons to see and do, it is also a great city for just wandering and eating.
good luck and congrats on 25!

itsv Jan 18th, 2013 10:30 AM

Yorkshire I will look at that website. thank you for the help.