Reload this Page >

Best Value Restaurants in Central London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 01:36 PM
Rick

Going to be in Central London for a week and would like some suggestions for best dining values--style can range from the ridiculous to the sublime. I'm coming from Utah, USA and am starved for diversity!

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 03:24 PM
Al

Probably others will have suggestions that outdo ours, but here goes. London, believe it or not, has some of the best Chinese restaurants anywhere. Look for Wardour Street, right near the theater district. We like Indian restaurants, particularly those that cook tandoori style, sort of like a barbecue. Make sure you try their quick breads, like nan. You will find you can't get enough of the stuff. For some reason, the British don't know how to make a good hamburger, so avoid them there. It's hard to find the old-style fish-and-chips shops that used to be so common in London. I wonder why. They could be marvelous. There used to be a chain of home-made foods shops called Oodles. If they are still in business, give them a try. There used to be one on Edgeware Road, not far from Hyde Park Corner. Great food, cafeteria style, reasonable prices, astounding variety.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 05:24 AM
elaine

two recommendations often mentioned on this forum <BR>Rule's, perhaps London's oldest restaurant is not only wonderful, but a good bargain. Make reservations usually a day or two ahead. In Covent Garden there is Belgo Central, a Belgian mussels, frites, and roasted chicken place. <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 07:07 AM
elvira

Ye Olde Cheshire, the oldest restaurant in London, just off Fleet Street, has very good food and wonderful atmosphere (if you eat downstairs, you can sit in Samuel Johnson's favorite spot). <BR> <BR>Maxwell's in Covent Garden for the 'original' Hard Rock Cafe/Planet Hollywood-type restaurant. <BR> <BR>The Hard Rock Cafe near the Wellington Arch. <BR> <BR>Chinese food is very good in London, so is Indian cuisine, and both offer good value. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 10:31 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>With the e-mail copy of this message I am semding a note I keepon disc on pub lunches and on university, Indian, and Chinese restaurants. A few annotations to comments made so far. <BR> <BR>Fish and chips shops need low rents to keepprices down. I'm 63, anmd can say they were never native tothe West End.Rather, if you talke a tube or suburban train to the further edge of Zone 2, and ask, you'll find a good example -- probably run by a Chinese or a Turkish family. The bonus from the former is Sping Roll, and from the latter is doner kebab. If the house is elegan enough tohave tables and chairs you can ask the proproetpr for permission, go to a wine shop nearby, buy and uncork a strong dry white, a Hungarian Reisling, say, and dine like a prince. <BR> <BR>There is reasonable fish and chips in some West End pubs, but the wine prices are extortionate, and beer goes badly with the dish. <BR> <BR>National pride forbids us to make a good hamburger. <BR> <BR>I'm afraid I see no Oodles these days, and the phone book has none. <BR> <BR>The reference is to The Cheshire Cheese. <BR> <BR>Please write, before Sunday, if I can help further. Welcome to London. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 11:28 AM
sally

Rick: We loved the Japanese Noodle Bar in London called Wagamama. It may not be "central", but is just off Coptic St. <BR>@ 4 Streatham St. It is a casual place <BR>that serves suishi, noodle, and rice with seafood dishes. The food is excellent and the prices are very reasonable--try it, you'll like it!!