Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best value hotels for families in London and Edinburg?

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 07:25 AM
Scott

Hi,

We're looking for cheaper hotels which have rooms good for families-we'll have myself, my wife, our two mothers, and two kids, aged 14 and 11. What can you recommend for London and Edinburgh?

Thanks.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 08:38 AM
Pat

My husband and I and 2 kids same age as yours stayed at Travel Inn County Hall this summer. You would need 2 rooms to accomodate your group but the room rate is a bargain for London at 75 pounds a night. The place was nothing fancy, but it was clean and adequate for our needs. The location was excellent, right between Waterloo and Westminster tube stations. The restaurant in the hotel was mediocre for breakfast, but not bad for dinner. Check out the rants and raves section for comments on this hotel.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 12:22 AM
Jenny

For your grouping, I'd go for either the Travel Lodge or Travel Inn in Edinburgh - prices are getting so high in the City Centre. I think the room rate is about £50, and you would need two rooms (possibly 3 if you wanted more room....) Take a look at the websites for a bit more of an idea.

http://www.travelinn.co.uk/index2.html
http://www.travelodge.co.uk/

In Edinburgh, both are fairly central, but the usual - rather characterless.

If you are looking for something more traditional, or luxurious, I'm afraid the price goes right up ... However, let me know if you're looking for something outwith the bargain chains, and I'll see what I can think of!

Jenny

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 04:50 AM
kitty

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Hyde Park in a three bedroom apartment. They have two and three bedroom apartments available. The three bedrooms each had two twin beds. The hotel is in a quiet area about a 7 minute walk from a tube station.

In Edinburgh we stayed at the Castle View Guest House (B&B) and loved it. Our room had one double and two twin beds. At this B&B you would need two rooms. Great full breakfast cooked to order each morning and right off Prunce's Street. In our room we could see Edinburgh Castle while sitting in the window seat. One thing you should know, however, is that the B&B is on the 4th and 5th floor of a building and there is no elevator. So if the mothers have trouble climbing lots of stairs this might not work out for them. Though it was really, really nice and conveniently located.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 07:29 AM
cathy

http://www.lse.ac.uk/vacations/high-holborn-residence.htm

My son and I had the best experience at the High Holborn Residence, a recently built London School of Economics dorm, 2 years ago and we are going back this summer. Big room, en suite bath, huge buffet style breakfast in the cafeteria, and location is 5 minutes walk from Covent Garden. All for 56 GBP per room. Check the web site for this year's available summer dates.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 09:21 AM
xxx

Still think the best deal in london for families is the Holiday Inn Mayfair if you can get rooms with one of their special rates. Great central location. Otherwise, you should look into getting a two bedroom apartment rental in a nice area.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Julie

Go to the Royal National Hotel. Its near Russel Park near the British Museum...only a Tube (subway) ride to other attractions. Its nothing fancy but its big and will easily accomidate groups of all sizes. Its clean and each room gets its own bathroom. They also have a place to leave your bags if you arrive before check in and need to leave your bags while sightseeing. The rates are very reasonable!
Have a great time!