Search

Need travel suggestions for first time in Italia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need travel suggestions for first time in Italia

Hi to all you Italy experts!
I have been reading some of the posts and they are very helpful! My Mother and I will be traveling to Italy for the first time in mid-May for 12 days. We like to see things, but want to be able to relax as well.
Our plan is to go to Milan, go directly to Venice, then to Florence(Rome is pending) then Lake Como area.

Is this a good plan? do I have time to fit in Rome? I hear Rome is one you can do all on it's own. Or are there other areas/cities I should be looking at.
Any and all advice are GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks
Urmiek
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:26 PM
rex

Well, it's aboslutely true that you could spend a full 12 days (months?) in Rome and not feel the need to go elsewhere to make a trip complete. On the other hand, 4 days - - especially if preceded by 4-5 days elsewhere - - could make for quite an adequate visit to Rome. Rome is a very, very intense, bustling city, and I always think it would to get used to Italy in general.

Thus, I will argue that you DO have time to include Rome.

That will make the trip very &quot;full&quot; - and if this supposed to be &quot;vacation&quot;, with a generous amount of R&amp;R, especially at Lake Como - - where it is an art form to pursue the <i>dolce far niente</i> (the sweetness of doing nothing) - - then 3-4 days each in Venice, Florence and at Lake Como will not leave you wanting either.

And from Venice and Florence in particular, there are indeed regions to reach out to - - all within 60-90 minutes away, if you want alternatives to the cityscapes that each present. Indeed, you could spend a full 12 days in the regions surrounding Venice or Florence either one.

I recommend some serious &quot;book time&quot; with the biggest most comptrehensive guide book(s) you can get your hands on at the libary or bookstore(s) nearest you - - either generall (all of) Italy books, or specific books on Venice and the Veneto and/or Florence and Tuscany. Read one or more, cover to cover, just like a novel.

It's great that you don't (yet) have a fixed idea or checklist of what you must go see and do. Let the words and pictures show you what resonates most with YOU - - and then come back with more specific questions.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much Rex, good advice!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:05 AM

I'd leave Rome for another time. We did something similar. www.varenna.net for Como.
3 nights Venice (we did 2 and could have used 1 more). 2 nights florence, 4 nights in a smaller Tuscan town (rent a car maybe?), 2 nights Como. You'll love it!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:12 AM
DRJ

If you are already ticketed into Milan I'd hit Como first because its so close by. IMO, Lake Como is worth a couple of days as is Florence. Venice requires three or four days and Rome at least that. I wouldn't think of visiting Italy without going to Rome. It is Italy.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:49 PM
rex

Sorry I failed to acknoweldge earlier, urmiek... you're very welcome.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:53 PM

Hello!
My husband and I are also going to Italy for the first time this summer - we'll arrive in Milan on 5/30 and spend one night - then to Rome for 3 days, Florence 3 days and we're trying to decide whether to squeeze Venice into 2 days before a relaxing time at Lake Como. Please advise. I have so many questions - especially about dragging our luggage around between train stops and hotels.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 06:27 PM
rex

&lt;&lt;I have so many questions - especially about dragging our luggage around between train stops and hotels.&gt;&gt;

The key is pack so that you can manage your own luggage and hardly break a sweat. Pack in two bags - - the key to choosing them is that they be very lightweight when empty, for starters. Your biggest bag should be (no bigger than) a 22 inch &quot;rollaboard&quot;, weighing no more than EIGHT pounds when empty. When fully loaded, you ought to be able to pass this test: lift it over your head, and climb and descend a full flight of steps without touching the walls or handrails. Your second bag can actually hold almost as much as your &quot;big bag&quot;, but I recommend a small-medium nylon duffel that weighs no more than eight OUNCES when empty.

When both are packed, you should still be able to climb and descend a full flight of steps (doesn't have to be over your head - - and okay to brush against the wall or handrails), and not feel overwhelmed.

I know of no other advice that will have the same impact to ensure a good trip on the kinds of itineraries being discussed on this thread.

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:55 PM

Rex - thank you for that sage and detailed advice on packing. Very helpful. When training to Como (Bellagio) - what is the best way to get to our hotel from train station - hotel is Bellagio Hotel Florence.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 06:42 PM

There is no train to Bellagio. The closest is Varenna, then a :10 walk to the boat dock and then a ferry ride.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:07 PM
rex

&lt;&lt;When training to Como (Bellagio) - what is the best way to get to our hotel from train station ...??

But maybe this means taking the train to <i><b>the town of</b></i> Como. I think there is a ferry or hydrofoil or both, from Como to Bellagio - - but I don't know the details.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:45 AM

Years ago (15?) I took a bus from the center of Milan directly to Bellagio. Does anyone know if this bus still runs?