Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best travel shoes: does anyone have El Naturalista shoes? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-travel-shoes-does-anyone-have-el-naturalista-shoes-609206/)

Luisah Apr 20th, 2006 08:06 AM

Best travel shoes: does anyone have El Naturalista shoes?

I just saw El Naturalista shoes on Zappos.com and they look great, variety of styles and colors, made in Spain, rubber soles, but there are no wearer reviews. I'm wondering if they're heavy (rubber sole) and if the sizes run true.

I usually wear black Munro American shoes, which are super comfortable with excellent support, but I'm open to a more modern, colorful shoe for a second pair for short walks, and with casual clothes, but comfort and proper fit is essential.

Thanks.

sheri_lp Apr 23rd, 2006 08:41 AM

I got two pairs of RYKA shoes (I saw them demo'ed on QVC). omg they are so comfortable - not THAT sylish looking but they kept me going strong through France & Italy. I got a walker and a pair of sandals - great cushiony support.

laclaire Apr 23rd, 2006 08:45 AM

Ryka shoes are made specifically for women, just in case there are men on here.

El naturalista is a great brand. I can't wear them thanks to my huge feet (they don't make my size), but lots of friends have them in Spain and love them. You will have to break them in before leaving (very important!), but they are trusty and cute.

Luisah Apr 23rd, 2006 08:54 AM

Thank you both, I'll check out Ryka.

laclaire, I've seen El Naturalista size 42 listed on one web site as a 11-1/2-12 and on another as 10-1/2-11. I need an 11-1/2. Do you wear a larger size? What do you think a 42 would be in American size?

I'm tired of returning shoes and don't have many options where I live, so am trying to get an idea of their size. I may have to wait for user reviews on Zappos.

Thanks again for responding

Christina Apr 23rd, 2006 09:04 AM

I haven't ever worn El Naturalista shoes, but have bought European shoes and 42 is definitely not size 12. I wear a 9 to 9-1/2 American size and 40-41 in European sizes. A size 42 is about a US size 10 shoe in women's sizes.

laclaire Apr 23rd, 2006 09:12 AM

In Spain ladies shoes stop at a size 41 unless it is a special store, so even though naturalista might make them, I never had the chance to wear them. I wear an American 11 (sometimes higher depending on the grand) and my flamenco shoes are a 42. So, perhaps they would fit me if I ordered from Zappos as well.

Ordering from Zappos is great becuase you try them on and if it doesn't work, you send them back. Just try to do it all as early as possible so you don't end up without. Big feet are definitely a curse in Spain, though.

crefloors Apr 23rd, 2006 09:25 AM

Try shoebuy.com also. I too wear an 11. Used to wear a 10...OH NO!!!! What happened!!!!!!! LOL Anyway, I have had great luck with shoebuy and they are the same as Zappos for return policy. Just pack 'em up and send them back, no questions. The only two pair of shoes I got from Zappos were european sized and they said they were 11 and when I got them they were too small. Because of that, I have pretty much stayed away from the shoes with European sizing. However, this is just MY experience..others may have been more successful. I have gotten several pair of Softwalks in various styles, and then have been really comfortable and true to size. Good luck...wearing an 11...I feel your pain. So hard to get shoes.

Luisah Apr 25th, 2006 07:11 AM

Thanks. I've been browsing Shoebuy. Indeed it is painful trying to find attractive shoes in a large size. I get excited when I see loads of cute shoes and then enter my size and see the choice dwindle to a few options and often those are "old lady" shoes.