Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Travel Guidebook for Norway (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-travel-guidebook-for-norway-220483/)

Serena May 14th, 2002 01:43 PM

Best Travel Guidebook for Norway

Hello,<BR>I am planning a trip to Oslo, Bergen and the fjord region. Beside the Fodors guidebook, does anyone recommend a particular travel book for Oslo, Bergen and Fjords? I would like one with good maps, maybe photos and of course, reliable info on hotels, sights, restaurants, etc.<BR>Thanks!

Debbie May 14th, 2002 04:12 PM

Serena-We're going later this month, and in researching, these websites were quite helpful-you can order brochures via snailmail so you can take them with you: all preceeded by & ending with the usual www. and .com: visitnorway, visitoslo, visitBergen and nsb.no for information on the spectacular Flam railway. Besides Fodors, the Rick Steves Scandanivia book is ok, however, my prefenence leans towards the Insight Pocket Guide for Oslo and Bergen. This will fit nicely in a backpack or pouch. Lots of glossy pages and color pics, and includes a map of both cities. Not too much info on accommodations, however. Would rely on Fodors guidebook for that, or either of the two city guides. These also are filled with very detailed areas for accommodations, sites, eats and everything else in-between. <BR><BR>If Bjorn is out there, he'll be the best source of information for you. Better than any guidebook. He seemed to be posting on a regular basis, but haven't seen any replies from him in some time.<BR><BR>Have a great trip. Norway looks beautiful from the guidebook pictures so far. ENJOY!

Serena May 15th, 2002 02:25 AM

Thanks for a starting point. I will check them out. I really like the DK travel books, but they don't cover Norway.

alison May 15th, 2002 05:40 AM

I noticed just last week that the new edition of Fodor's Norway is in the bookstores now.

Connie May 15th, 2002 09:27 AM

I am also planning a trip to the same region but not until Jun 03. I received a brochure called Fjord Norway from Norway Tourism and it appears quite helpful. Have also just sent for Fodors Guide. Will you be visiting the Southern Part of Norway - Stavenger? Will you be renting a car? Please post a message upon your return with details.

Serena May 15th, 2002 05:18 PM

Thanks everyone. I am leaving at the end of June. I will report on my trip when i return. I'm very excited!<BR><BR>If anyone has any specific advice for Norway,let me know. Any particular bargains? great souveniers?

Bjorn May 16th, 2002 11:28 AM

Hi<BR>My best pick on travel guides for Norway is the "NAF's veibok" - Road Guide for members of NAF . Norwegian Automobile Association. But to my knowldge it is in Norwegian only. A Pity, because it covers Norway in a way that Michelin only can dream of.<BR>I suggest that you contact NAF upon Norway arrival. I'm sure their tourist office will help you in a satisfactory way.<BR>Bjorn, Oslo