Best Towns in Engadine

Search

Best Towns in Engadine

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Towns in Engadine

I am planning 2-3 days in May, but may shy away from St. Moritz. What are people's favorite towns, hotels in the region? I am interested in scenery, hiking, culture - not skiing. Also, can one reasonably get about without a car?
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 01:24 PM

I think Guarda was my favorite little town. But if you want to stay somewhere with slightly more infrastructure, check out Zuoz. We stayed at PostHotel Zuoz. Very nice! And there's a train station there so travel throughout the valley is very easy. It's only 15 min. to St. Moritz, Pontresina, and many other nice towns.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:16 AM

Hi browdl,

Ditto what Grasshopper said. Ditto on all of it: Guarda was my favorite, but Zuoz is more convenient, larger. Guarda village is actually up on a hill so that you have to take a bus after the train -- it'll likely add 15-20 minutes to each of your day trips.

Alternately, you may want to look at Sils/Sils-Maria on the lakes. We only rode by them on the train, but Ingo here favors that area. They looked charming!

s
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:19 AM

Good morning all. I learn something everyday, s! I knew Guarda was above the train station, but I didn't know it could not be walked. Good info, copied and pasted to my whenever file. J.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:22 AM

Hi jw,

Maybe it can be walked -- didn't even consider that! I don't know that I'd want to walk it with luggage though, and to walk it every day for excursions would add lots more time . . .

Maybe I'll play around at mappy.com to see the exact mileage.

You know, Ingo has recommended a bike ride from Scoul through Guarda . . . in the someday file!

s
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Are we really talking about May? Hopefully not early May, the skiing season ends the first weekend in May and then everything in the (Upper) Engadine is closed.

Fully agree with Grasshopper and Swandav. But as I said, in May better concentrate on the Lower Engadine (Scuol and Guarda). I recommend to stay in Scuol, which is the largest of the villages, almost a small town. It has an excellent spa which is open all year round and attracts many visitors, so it is somewhat livelier at this time of year. It is also located at lower elevation, snow should not be an issue in May and easy hikes should be doable.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice. Ingo, how "closed" is "closed"? I don't care if major ski resorts are closed, as we are not skiers, but would want to be sure that transport, cable cars, etc are available. There seem to be a number of smaller inns that remain open at this time of year. Do restaurants close down in May? Thanks again!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 12:05 PM

I have been to the Engadine once in early May - a big mistake.

The snow on the valley ground was just melted away, the grass still brown/grey, many hotels closed, most restaurants closed. Transportation bus/train works on a reduced schedule, ALL cable cars are closed, hiking paths (except around the villages and lakes) were closed (still snow covered). No tourists except the few Glacier Express/Bernina Express travellers.

By the way, you'll find the same situation anywhere in the Alps at high elevation - also in Austria, Italy and France.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Ingo, that sounds awful! I was attempting to take advantage of frequent flyer points on off-season rates (pre-May 15 or post Oct 15). What do you consider a good "shoulder season" for visiting high alps?