Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best time to visit Prague (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-time-to-visit-prague-557203/)

Cadilly Sep 8th, 2005 04:06 PM

Best time to visit Prague

What' your opinion?
I have the ability to travel next year, and am going to go from switzerland to Hungary to Vienna and wind up in Prague, where I would like to spend a few day. I am concerned about inclement weather preventing exploration, too many people/overcrowding, and of course, expense in the high season.
If you have been there and witnessed the crowds, can you tell me which time period would better? Springish- April/May, or Fallish- August, September?

Thanks,
Cadilly

nytraveler Sep 8th, 2005 04:13 PM

August is not fallish - it's the height of summer and the busiest part of the tourist season.

I would do May - weather a little nicer than April - but since it's the still the early part of the season the infrastructure isn;t "touristed-out" yet. And it may still be possible to get hotel bargains.

Cadilly Sep 8th, 2005 04:22 PM

Is September fallish? Or November?

Are they good times?

elaine Sep 8th, 2005 04:40 PM

Hi
I've been there twice, once in early March when there was still a coating of snow and daytime temps in the 30s and low 40sF, and again in mid-April when it was spring-ish. It's a wonderful city in any city. It was not too crowded in either month, though noticeably more so in April than in early March.
For historical temperature trends, see
www.wunderground.com

Jddechomd Sep 8th, 2005 06:06 PM

We were there in the end of March just before Easter. It was warm enough to walk around comfortably with a sweater or light jacket. The crowds were minimal but it was busy enough to enjoy people watching. The best surprise was the Easter markets selling decorated eggs and treats in the old town square. It was a great time to visit.
We stayed at the Aria Hotel which was a fine location and one of the nicest hotels we have ever had the pleasure of visiting. Good luck and enjoy your visit!

Christina Sep 8th, 2005 07:11 PM

I haven't been there in Fall, so can't compare, but I've been there in May and it's wonderful.

May is one of the most busiest times in Prague as it's the time of their very well-known international music festival, which is annual. There isn't any way in the world you are going to get discounts on hotels in that period, they are all booked months ahead of time. That begins about May 12th each year and runs for a month. If you like classical music, as I do, you wouldn't miss it, but if you don't, it would be better to go very first week in May. There are competitions that begin a little earlier than the official opening, and it might not be as crowded then. Hotel rates are at their peak for that festival. The crowds shouldn't bother you in general during the festival, but you will have to reserve a hotel room well in advance. If you want tickets to any performance, you also need to order them months ahead.

Where2Travel Sep 9th, 2005 02:22 AM

If I go back to Prague I will try and pick the quietest time, even if that means I put up with shorter days and colder weather.

I was there in mid-March a couple of years ago and there was a sprinkling of snow on higher ground but generally the weather was very good and didn't hinder exploring the city. I assume March is not a very busy month but I would certainly not want to see the city when it's any busier. On your first visit, you will spend a bot of time around the popular sites: Old Town Square, Charles Bridge and the Castle and when these are busy with tourists, I can only think it does take something away from the experience. From what I saw and now hear from people travelling there, Prague is swarmed with visitors these days and it is a very different place to what those people who were lucky enough to go some years ago would have experienced.

Having said that, it's a great city for a short break and you'll have a great time, whenever you choose to go.

Ozarksbill Sep 9th, 2005 12:51 PM

We (an older couple) were in Prague along with Budapest early June and loved it. Plenty of musical concerts, beer, castles, and of course tourists.
Weather was quite pleasant, even a bit cool.
ozarksbill
[email protected]

pat Sep 9th, 2005 02:48 PM

I it matters to you, most of the public gardens open May 1.

rex Sep 9th, 2005 08:40 PM

May was wonderful for me and my family in 2003. Do be aware of the Prague Marathon (second sunday in May?)

Chiefly relevant if you are trying to leave (or enter) the most central part of the Old Town, by car.

Best wishes,

Rex