Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best time to travel to Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-time-to-travel-to-italy-696391/)

Blacknight Apr 12th, 2007 05:55 PM

Best time to travel to Italy

I am planning a trip to Italy the last week of August. I've been reading all of your posts, gleaming a lot of helpful information. I did the same last year for my trip to England and Scotland and had a great time.

I've been reading that late August may not be such a good time to go. However, I choose this time of year because it will still be warm and the crowds will be all but gone.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

travelhorizons Apr 12th, 2007 06:00 PM

August will still be HOT and HUMID, not warm, and Italy will be crowded. If you have a choice, wait until the end of September or even into October.

There will still be crowds of tourists, even in mid-September. I remember Rome and Capri as being especially crowded.

nytraveler Apr 12th, 2007 06:00 PM

Late August will not be warm - it will be very hot. And it will still be mobbed - not crowds all but gone. (For that you would have to wait until late Oct or early Nov.)

My favorite time is May. Warm - but not hot, not yet crowded, long days so you can do nice romantic walks after dinner, everything green and tons of flowers.

Blacknight Apr 12th, 2007 06:15 PM

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll have to beg my boss and see if I can push the vacation back a month.

tomassocroccante Apr 12th, 2007 06:20 PM

The other problem is that in, say, Rome, August is the month when anyone who can gets the heck out of town. They evacuate, and you're left with tourists and the Romans who have to cater to them. (Others, too, of course, but truly, it is vacation month, and they VACATE. Same in Paris and other places, of course.)

mkdiebold Apr 12th, 2007 07:15 PM

You cannot possibly imagine how HOT it can be in July and August. The hotels there with air conditioning have brown outs of energy. The rooms are never really cool. I loved Italy, but we were there in late June and early July and the severe temps nearly spoiled the trip.

CRAZY4TRAVEL Apr 13th, 2007 01:59 AM

I was in Rome late last May and it was hot at that time....and very crowded.

I've been to Rome twice in late September/early October and it was much nicer. Weather was still nice but not too hot and definately less crowded.

dperry Apr 13th, 2007 03:05 AM

i'll be in venice and florence in early-mid october?
how will the weather and crowds be?
i've been to italy in july before - never again.

BarbaraJ Apr 13th, 2007 05:00 AM

We went late June - early July last trip. It was very hot and humid in Rome and uncomfortable for us. It felt worse walking through the Forum, where there was little cover. When we went to Florence, it was actually warmer but felt more comfortable as it wasn't quite as humid. The last place we stayed, Urbino in the hills of Marche, was fine. We even stayed in a room without AC and didn't miss it. That said, I'm glad we're going in October this time! I much prefer cooler/colder weather to hot!

ira Apr 13th, 2007 05:19 AM

Hi dp,

Good time to visit.

((I))

ThePope78705 Jun 6th, 2007 12:06 PM

What about Italy at the New Year? Too cold?

Ralphie Jun 6th, 2007 12:43 PM

I spent new year's 1999/2000 in Italy and it was the trip of a lifetime! In the North there was some frost on the ground at dawn a couple nights, but it the temperature was pleasant overall. Had a couple misty-rainy days but that beats oppressive heat and crowds any day!

Not too cold for me, but then again I live in Massachusetts!

LBev769375 Jun 6th, 2007 04:38 PM

Middle of Sept to middle of October would be a great time.