Best time to tour the Vatican in March

Feb 25th, 2009, 02:25 PM
WLS
Original Poster

Best time to tour the Vatican in March

I am finally ready to book our tickets for the Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel. We are not booking a tour but will work out our own audio/book tour. I am trying to find the least crowded time of day. Times on the hour starting at 10 am and ending at 3 pm are available. My first inclination is to go with the earliest time but I seem to have read somewhere that mornings are the most crowded due to tours. All tours are in the morning? Would the voices of experience please suggest the best time to avoid the most crowds? Thanks!
Feb 25th, 2009, 02:57 PM

We've found that lunch time is least crowded, so I would go at noon or 1:00.
Feb 25th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Not all tours are in the morning, but most outside tour companies tend to go early. The Vatican has their own tours as late at 2:30.
Feb 26th, 2009, 07:20 AM

WLS - sorry to join in your blog with a question. We will be in Rome March 26 - March 30. Do we need to make reservation to visit the Vatican? I have downloaded the free audio tour from rick steve's website (check it out if you haven't!). Any input is greatly appreciated.
Feb 26th, 2009, 10:12 AM
WLS
Original Poster

jgliu, We will be in Rome the same week you are. I am hoping someone experienced will answer your question about the need for reservations in March. I went ahead and made reservations(at noon as suggested) because I figured the 4 Euro/ticket online booking fee was my insurance against the possibility of standing in a long line. I am traveling with my 16 year old impatient son and it wasn't worth the risk! We have used the Rick Steve's audio tours in the past with mixed results (things sometimes get moved inside a museum and aren't always where Rick says they should be) so we plan on downloading the audio tour and bringing a photo copy of the tour in his Rome guide book as well. I am not sure how long my son's interest will last in the museums before we head for the Sistine Chapel, so I need to be able to "fast forward" as needed Good luck with your trip planning!
Feb 26th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Like Hazel, we have had luck with going around 1. But that was before the online timed reservations system. I would probably use that just to insure I don't need to stand in line.
Feb 26th, 2009, 10:28 AM

jgliu - You don't have to make a reservation for the museum, but it does let you bypass the lines waiting to get tickets.

WLS - You can always rent an audio guide from the Vatican.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...i_audio01.html
Feb 28th, 2009, 10:09 PM

Kybourbon - thanks (again!) for your input. You've been a great help to my trip planning, from train tickets to the vatican reservation. Truly appreciate it! I look forward to seeing your input to my future questions