Can I do better ? Hotel selection

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry that I have so many questions.

I've reserved the following hotels for my trip to Europe in September. They are all refundable although Paris & Zurich ones have $30 and $50 penalty.
I'm wondering if anybody has stayed there. I've read the tripadvisor reviews. They are generally okay to good, but all seem to have some negative comments. I'd also appreciate any recommendations for other hotels in the same price range or lower.
(We are group of 4 adults traveling togheter. )

Thank you so much.

London - Holiday Inn Kensington, 116 GBP per night (for standard room, 2 double beds), 2 nights

Paris - Hotel des Bourdonnais, $235 per night (quadruple, 2 double beds), 4 nights

Zurich - Hotel Basilea, $300 per night (2 double rooms), 1 night

Venice - Hotel Canal & Walter, 185 euro per night (quadruple, 4 twin beds), 2 nights

Florence - Hotel Porta Faenza, 150 euro per night (quadruple, 4 twin beds), 2 nights

Rome - Morgana Royal Court, 217 euro per night (quadruple, 1 double + 2 twins), 3 nights.

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

I should add that all hotels in Italy are located close to the main rail station. I'm also wondering if these are safe areas to walk in the night.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:08 PM

My friends recently stayed at the Kensington in London and were very disappointed. Tiny room, tiny bathroom and horrible service.

I got my hotel, Thistle Charing Cross (for May 3, 4, 5, 6) for $125/night via Priceline. For expensive London, I feel Priceline is the way to go!

Monica
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In Venice the train station is a ways from the central part of the city where you will want to be for sight-seeing. I don't know that it is unsafe but will be a longer walk for you each day.

As an extreme generalization the areas around train stations are usually not the nicest parts of a city.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Unless London priceline rules are different, I don't think Priceline will work for theilian who need beds for 4 people.

I agree that generally near the train station is not the best place to stay. Rome and Venice in particular.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM

If you use Priceline, you will need two rooms, however.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum through Priceline, and it was fine. The first room they assigned was smallish, but fine. When I discovered it hadn't been cleaned, they assigned us to an executive room, which was relatively spacious.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:28 PM

I don't know why you want to stay in Kensington, it's located out to the west of London. You're much better off in the Holiday Inn Mayfair which might even prove to be a cheaper option.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Holiday Inn Kensington is very convenient in all sorts of ways, with the Gloucester Road station right there, as well as grocery stores, restaurants, etc. I really liked the location. But Holiday Inn Mayfair probably does have the edge, being somewhat more central, with the metro close by and I think a Sainsbury and Pret a Manger also.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

No reason to stay at Kensington except that one in Mayfair cost 71 pounds more per night. Also HI Kensington is different from Kensington Forum, which I hear is opposite Kensington.

I'll have to rethink about Venice and Rome hotels, but don't know what.

Thanks for replies. Keep them coming.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:23 PM

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum in my post above above - sorry for the misdirection, but the location info still holds.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:37 PM

If you do a search for Hotel Canal & Walter here you'll find a number of positive remarks.

I haven't stayed there, and haven't stayed by the train station in Venice, but I think it could be okay. Definitely better than being by the train station in Rome, for example.

I don't mind walking, and for me being further away from San Marco and the Rialto would only be a bonus.

I also don't think of the area around the train station in Florence as being that big of a deal, either. But again, it really depends on you and your party--what you all want.

Good luck.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Of the hotels you list the only one I've stayed in is the one in Venice, Hotel Canal and Walter. It was fine, quite nice actually. It was 150€ for a quad in July 2003 but I think September is higher season in Venice so that seems about right. I was also in Venice last summer and stayed at the hotel Violino d'Oro which is closer to San Marco and I guess I liked that location a bit better, but really, the one by the train station was fine. Convenient to the train, the vaparetto stop is right outside, and the neighborhood behind it is very peaceful. I like the hotel alot and the only reason I didn't stay there on my return trip was that it was full. But I liked the Hotel Violino d'Oro a lot also.

In Florence I stayed at a hotel near the train station, Hotel Desire and it was also fine. It was only 45€ for a single last summer but that was a special price I found on one of the booking sites. I then emailed the hotel directly quoting that price and they gave it to me. Again, I believe September is actually considered high season while July is considered shoulder season so prices may be higher.

In Paris I can recommend Hotel St Andre des Arts in the 6th where a quad in 2003 was €105. Fabulous location but the hotel is only a one star (so no TV, lift or AC if that's important to you). I could recommend several other hotels in Paris but I'm not sure if they have quads (I was always single or doubles except the time at St Andres) and they would probably be about the price of the one you have booked.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:48 PM

How about $65 for a 4* in London?

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34648444
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Whoops, also meant to say I unfortunately don't know much about quad rooms. Are you trying to keep under a certain dollar/Euro amount for the 4 of you? I feel as if I know some "budget" hotels but I'm not really sure what your priorities are.

However, I'd be surprised if you can beat that Hotel Porta Faenza price. And while near to the station, it's not as if it's directly across from it or anything.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:53 PM

I agree that there's nothing wrong with the sestiere near the train station in Venice. There is certainly nothing sleazy about it. It is, no doubt, the farthest point in Venice proper from San Marco but, hopefully, you won't be spending all your time in or around San Marco to begin with.

Being farther away will give you the opportunity to see more of Venice, whether you choose to walk or take the vaporetto. There have been a number of reports lately from people who have been disenchanted with their first visit to Venice, a lot of which (I think) has to do with their staying so close to San Marco in the busy season. I think you are choosing wisely to stay far away from there, while it is, of course, still very accessible.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:11 PM

In London, you could use Priceline and possibly get two rooms for the price of one. Definitely looks like Thistle Marble Arch is going for $60 a night.

Other Rome hotels to check would be Hotel Lancelot by the Colosseum, Hotel
Oceania or you might get a rate at Hotel Sonya. My friends stayed at Il Piccolo di Piazza di Spagna and like it. Don't know the exact rate but I think it's reasonable.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:24 PM

We stayed at Canal & Walter less than two weeks ago. If we had the same itenerary, I would stay there again. We were arrived late and took a very early morning train, so being close to the S. Lucia train station was a plus for us. If you take the vaporetto to places like Rialto and St. Marks, plan 20 - 30 mins. There are several options, so see which boat will get you there with the fewest number of stops.

The only negative is reaching the hotel from the train station is the bridge you must cross with your luggage. It wasn't a problem to me, but my aunt informed us that it was "40 steps up and 40 steps down" to cross it. In my opinion, that is much easier than trying to haul your bags across town via boat. If you leave your bricks at home, you should be fine.

The desk staff was very helpful and there was nothing that I found unsavory about the neighborhood even past midnight. It isn't a "fancy" hotel, but I would rather appoint my money towards other souvenirs from Murano!

Do you have any other specific questions about C&W?

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:31 PM

"40 steps up and 40 steps down" to cross it. In my opinion, that is much easier than trying to haul your bags across town via boat."

I guess I don't quite understand the reasoning here. To put your bags on a boat you might have to lift them over a bit of a single step or ramp, then they sit there while you enjoy the scenery until you need to roll them off when you get to your hotel -- assuming your hotel is near a boat stop as ours was. I can't imagine how lugging them up and down 40 steps could possibly be considered "easier". What am I missing?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:38 PM

I saw people struggle with their luggage on very FULL boats. That is the basis of my opinion.

Old Jul 9th, 2005, 03:03 AM

Rome - I have stayed at the Morgana. It is a bit worn, but fine. Very close to the termini train station - easily walkable from there. I did not feel unsafe.

But I don't think this is a very good location for touring the city. You will need to start each day on the Metro or bus.

We stayed at Palio Bianco Spanish Steps
Piazza Di Spagna 20

It is a small quirky hotel, literally on the Spanish Steps. Its on the top floor of a bank, I think. Rooms are tiny, but it was a great location and not expensive.

For Zurich, I have not stayed at that particular hotel but it is a good location quite near Central tram stop. The price seems good for Zurich too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -