Best Time to Go to Switzerland

Aug 26th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Best Time to Go to Switzerland

Hi,

We are thinking of touring Switzerland in the summer of 2004 (we can only go end of June - Beginning of August because of work constraints). When is the best time to go during those months? We want to go for 10-14 days.

And is it rainy there during that time? We visited Germany in late June/first week of July in 1997 and it rained the entire time. I guess it was bound to catch up with us - our two 2-week trips to England were rain free!

Thanks!

MelbaToast
Aug 26th, 2003, 10:35 AM

Melba,

I would choose June over August to avoid the crowds. The weather is always difficult to predict, but the European travel season will be in full swing in August. I find the weather in Switzerland to be very moderate all year round. That's my experience and opinion. Have a good trip.

Greg
Aug 26th, 2003, 12:54 PM

MelbaToast:
In general, Sw. has more rainfall than many other European countries, but the actual amount varies greatly from region to region. Do you know which cantons you will spend the most time in? June rainfall in the Bernese Oberland (central mtn area) averages 5.1 inches, with July close behind at 5.4 inches. July and August can be HOT during the days, a consideration if you require Air Conditioning (not always present in hotels, and not usual at all in vacation apartments). Crowds are greatest on August, with most Europeans vacationing during that month as well.
That said, my vote for the times that you are bound to is, the earlier in June, the better. If you plan high level hikes in the mountains, most paths open by the second or third week of June. Before that, low and mid-level hikes are readily available from about the last week of May.
My experience with rain in Sw. is that it is usually a midafternoon downpour, which clears within 1-2 hours, not an all-day soaker.
The towns of Thun and Berne are double-tiered and arcaded, great for all-day shopping IN the rain!
Hope this helps!
Aug 26th, 2003, 10:33 PM

MelbaToast - (love the name by the way),

I'd choose late June over early August any time. The season is just getting underway, so there will be fewer crowds and cooler weather than in August.

We usually visit Switzerland in late May/early June to avoid the crowds, and we've been surprised at how good the weather can be. We do alot of hiking, and have found that trails are accessible as early as mid-May.

Search this Thread