Hamburger and Fries $16 in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The L.A. Times Travel section of today's Sunday paper said that the average hamburger and fries in Rome costs $16. Say it isn't so!
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:31 AM
Degas

I think wine also comes with your order.

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:33 AM

So when in Rome, do as the Romans do and have pasta.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:37 AM

Who in the name of the great Bambino would go to Italy and get a hamburger?
They ought to be charged $16 and fined another $16.

I can tell you right now that the ones I have seen don't look anything like a MacDonald's burger. In fact, not even the MacDonald's in France look anything like a real American hamburger.

But we are sterotyped as the ketchup eaters of the world.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:44 AM

Did they had their hamburger and fries at roof garden restaurant at the Cavalieri Hilton ?
A regular MacMenu would cost you around 5€ all around continental Europe.
Can you pronounce the standard Mac stuff in a different language?
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:08 AM

Why would anyone traveling to a foreign country deliberately ignore the delicious local cuisine in favor of a burger and fries? EWWWWWWW.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:14 AM

Am I the only one brave enough to admit that occasionally in Europe I stop and grab a quick burger and fries? Judging from the crowds, I am usually the only yankee in the joint. Besides, on a Sunday, these might be the only places in town open for a short bathroom break. Also - what can compete with a good bag of fries (frites) for a quick snack?
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:54 AM

When my wife and I were in Italy, I joking said to her that we can stop at McDonalds for a quick snack.

She said that unless they started serving McWine, she wasn't going near the place unless it was to pee.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

I don't think the article was advocating eating burgers in Italy. It was just trying to give an idea of the prices. However, I was there about 10 or 11 years ago when the dollar was at an all time low against the lire and we paid $3 for a coke in the market and $7 for an ice cream cone in Florence. We tired quickly of ordinary $150 spaghetti dinners (no wine, coke or appetizer) and $40 lunches in corner bars where we split one sandwich and one beer. When we got to Rome, McDonald's was a welcome and affordable treat. I think we paid $15 for two burgers, fries and drinks.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 10:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not taking sides for eat 'em or don't... but the McDonald's I've seen (this was Switzerland on numerous visits) were packed with locals. Frequenting fast-food joints does not necessarily single you out as a tourist or American.

They don't have McWine???
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 10:11 AM

For some reason, I have seen various articles comparing the cost of something at McDonald's in various countries as some kind of price index. If the article was just cmparing the cost of any hamburger and fries, not McDonalds, that is very odd as a way to give an idea of prices.

I think I've had a hamburger and fries at McDonald's in Paris, probably for a quick lunch during times I've been there a while, and I can't agree with Bob that they are nothing like in the US. They seemed very very similar to me, which is probably a goal of the corporation -- to have fairly good standardization across countries.

If that is the cost of a hamburger and fries at McDonalds in Rome, that's ridiculous, however, as they don't cost nearly that much in France.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 10:13 AM

Anyone who ordered a burger and fries in Europe anywhere needs their head looked at. We were on a trip to Europe a few years ago and we had some late teen age girls who only would eat fries at every meal, got to be funny, every time we would run into them they we always eating fries. Buck
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 10:16 AM

--
They don't have McWine???
--

No, but they have beer and salads.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 10:17 AM

A burger and fries are great after a night of drinking, but not for 16 USD...
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 10:18 AM

Is it just me or does anybody else find the gelato prices in Florence to be out of sight?

You can find gelato all over Italy for fairly cheap, with the exception of Florence. Why is that?
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:15 AM

Christina: It's called the "Big Mac Index" . Regards, Walter
www.oanda.com/products/bigmac/bigmac.shtml
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:19 AM
Intrepid

I suspect the reason people would go to Italy and have a hamburger is the same one that explains why people who are going to Italy then ask people here where they can get good French food or Dim Sum after they get there. Anyone who thinks that Italy has some sort of "corner" on great Italian food obviously hasn't eaten in many really good Italian restaurants in the US or other places. Great food is GREAT food regardless of where it is prepared.

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:55 AM

The gist of the L.A. Times article was that those who are on the fence about a trip to Europe should grab some of the best fall and winter deals in years. One such deal described (through France Vacations), is a five night package to Paris with hotel and roundtrip airfare from LAX for $599 per person, double occupancy, for September and October. This is the same price as 10 years ago.

The article's mention of the rising cost of food in Europe (e.g., a $16 cheeseburger and fries in Rome) was to make the point that with the current deals, "at least you won't go broke getting there." It also mentions another cost item -- gasoline -- stating that in much of Europe, the cost has increased 30% or more in the last year, to $4.50 or more a gallon.

As to the current low airfares for fall and winter, the author concludes, "With savings like that, you may have enough left over to pick up a scarf or two at Hermes."

A cheeseburger or a Hermes scarf. Travel offers something for everyone.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:14 PM
ira

Hi all,

Re eating at McD in Europe, it has been my experience that European kids love to go to McDonalds for hamburger and fries.

Another example of American cultural imperialism.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:26 PM

I sat at the Spanish Steps eating a filet-o-fish and fries from McDonalds. They only give you Coke because they don't have Sprite, fruit punch, iced tea,...

I only bought it because I wanted to see if it tasted the same as back home (Hawaii) and it certainly did. (I guess they really do freeze and ship everything overseas.) It cost about 5 euro for 'the combo'. As much as I loved eating pasta, pizza and delicious tomato/basil/mozzarella sandwiches I missed eating 'my food', which is Chinese, Japanese, Hawaiian, Greek, Spanish, French, Mexican, and American, to name a bunch. I did see a Chinese restaurant in Rome and a Mexican place in Venice but the menus showed Chinese food with an Italian flair or Mexican ala Italian. Nothing truly traditional of the country.

Anyway, I appreciate that the Italians make the effort to bring other cultural foods into their country. I love Italian food but can't eat it every single day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -