Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Time to Buy Eurostar Tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-time-to-buy-eurostar-tickets-1008283/)

whitneyd86 Mar 12th, 2014 08:48 AM

Best Time to Buy Eurostar Tickets

Hi,
My husband and I are traveling from London to Paris on Sunday, July 20th. I've been looking at tickets this weekend and prices for that particular day are $109 USD for a one way ticket (I know that there are cheaper tickets on other days, but we have to travel on Sunday). In reading some blogs, and tips that people have, many say to wait until about three months before to purchase tickets. Is that good advice? Or should I buy them now? I'm worried that ticket prices may go up! Any thoughts would be great! Thanks!

jamikins Mar 12th, 2014 08:55 AM

No buy Eurostar tickets as soon as you can...I don't think I have ever seem them get cheaper but they will almost certainly get more expensive...especially on a Sunday!

Christina Mar 12th, 2014 09:09 AM

I don't think Eurostar tickets get cheaper later on, you can just compare to what they are in about a month on a Sunday, they are about double that rate. I think you save a little if you don't buy in USD, they are priced at 62 GBP which is a little cheaper by the bank rate. If you can use a CC that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee on the website, DK, never tried ($109 is more like 66 GBP). Of course they charge a CC fee, it appears. YOu can try Raileurope, they seem to quote the same price but may not charge for using a CC.

whitneyd86 Mar 12th, 2014 09:34 AM

Thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to purchase them as soon as possible.

chartley Mar 12th, 2014 09:55 AM

I just checked on the U.K. Eurostar website. There are 19 journeys from Paris to London on that day, and one train already has only one non-flexible standard class seat left. It's best to book as soon as you can.

PalenQ Mar 12th, 2014 10:02 AM

You can try Raileurope, they seem to quote the same price but may not charge for using a CC.>

they don't but I believe they have a handling fee even though they are e-tickets you print out yourself at home. $15 I believe unless the order is over $400 or so total. Anyway yes give them a try and for any RailEurope product I would advise calling Byron at www.budgeteuropetravel.com for personal service - a RE agent but someone you can talk to - but I think you best bet is www.eurostar.com if RE charges a handling fee - call and find out.

I guess one reason for dealing with RailEurope is that if something goes wrong you can easily contact them and have it remedied.

PalenQ Mar 13th, 2014 10:21 AM

I think the earlier in the day on Sunday you go out the most available the cheaper tickets. Maybe really early and also have most of that day in Paris (you do lose one hour on the clock going to France).

PalenQ Mar 13th, 2014 11:04 AM

The Byzantine fare structure of Eurostar trains has it that at times a discounted first-class ticket may be nearly as cheap as the current level of Standard (2nd) class tickets available and if so - if even close opt for 1st class - you get much bigger seats and a complimentary meal with umlimited IME booze and drinks, even Champagne, the whole two hours to London.

michaelmorrison Mar 13th, 2014 11:28 PM

The sooner you will purchase them, the cheaper they will be

PalenQ Mar 14th, 2014 07:31 AM

or the longer you wait to buy them the more expensive they will be - a lot more sometimes overnight even. early bird gets the proverbial worm here.