Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

best time to buy airfare for june from canada?

Feb 12th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Linda

Hello everyone,

I've been watching the fares from Toronto and I'de like some advice from those of you who have gone to Europe in June. Have most of you waited until it's a few months before you leave, or do you just buy when you see a reasonable fare? Just what is a reasonable fare (open jaw ticket) from Toronto to Florence and Paris? The cheapest I can find right now is roughly $1100CND. If anyone has any advice from their experiences, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Linda

Feb 12th, 2002, 12:49 PM
lina

Linda, I just checked Air Transat's fare for that time for a simple Toronto-Paris return, and it's almost C$900.

For what it's worth, we did a simple round trip to Frankfurt in June last year for C$800 on the same airline.

It's hardly a great fare, but it may, regrettably, be not all that much out of line.

Feb 12th, 2002, 12:59 PM
ellen

Does Air France go to Toronto? I just booked tickets yesterday for Washington, DC to Paris, for end of May, returning June 1, for $553 (it's only $528 if you don't travel on a weekend day.)

Feb 12th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Lily

As soon as I know when and where I want to travel I start watching air fares. When I see something that looks too good to let it go I just get it. Last November I got tickets from Montreal to CDG on Air France for C$582.00 Departing June 9 and coming back June 28

Feb 12th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Lily

I paid canadian $582.00 for June 11-28 whereas Ellen paid US $553.00 for her trip in May. See the difference here? Still I think that C$553.00 in May to Paris would be a fantastic price.
Linda, I know that Montreal is far away from Toronto but check those prices from there maybe is worthy to get to Montreal somehow. Good luck

Feb 12th, 2002, 11:25 PM
Linda

Hi,
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Ellen: Air France has flights, but they are still quite expensive departing from Toronto. Also, it seems all the airlines have bumped up their prices for June 1 onward, as it will be high season then.

Lily
Thanks for the suggestion. But it won't work for me this time because my brother is getting married on June 2 and I don't think we'll have enough time to get to Montreal.

Decisions, decisions...I'm leaning towards waiting to see if there is another promotion. I hope i don't get burned!

Feb 13th, 2002, 03:38 AM
tt

ttt

Feb 13th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Linda

Hi Lina and others,

Woohoo!! I checked Air Transat on a whim and I was able to get a round trip ticket to CDG for $730!! Needless to say, I jumped on it. Thanks everyone for your input--I'll be thinking of you in June.

Feb 13th, 2002, 03:36 PM
kate

Last Sept. I booked an open jaws ticket with British Aiways (Toronto to Munich & returning from Vienna to Toronto) for approx. $985.00 Cdn.. When they had a seat sale in January I phoned BA and found that they would refund the difference. BA is refunding me $250.00 Cdn. Why not check with the different airlines regarding their price change policy. If you decide to go this route then you'll have to watch the airfares (expedia is good for this) and apply for the refund as the airlines won't notify you. Good luck!

Feb 13th, 2002, 03:45 PM
KenCT

Since someone mentioned Expedia, I'd like to add that I've had very good experiences with Travelocity.com They have a option where you can plug in up to five departure points and destinations. When the price on any one of them goes up or down by an amount you specify, you get an email. Since I tend to check my email early in the morning, I've been able to jump on sale fares early. Don't know if you can use departure points outside the US, but it's worth a try.

Feb 14th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Kris

Hey, Kate and ,if you read this post closely you would realized that Linda already got her tickets

Feb 14th, 2002, 04:36 AM
lina

Linda, glad you had good luck with AT. Your experience reminded me that different dates, even within the same month, can have drastically different prices.

Kris, Linda may not be the only one having this problem, so Kate's answer may very well be useful to somebody. (I'm filing the info away for future reference - thanks, Kate.)

Feb 14th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Kris

Lina, you are absloutely right. For a moment I became selfish and forgot that this forum serves many travelers. Thank you for this valuable reminder.
And Linda have a great time in Europe

Feb 14th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Lanny

I rely on the e-mail notifications from Air Canada's Websaver service. They post all sorts of specials on this service and having it pop into your e-mail box once a week or so keeps you up to date on what is on offer. Usually Air Canada has some good fares in May/June before the official big holiday season and it is not uncommon for me to be able to book a return flight from Ottawa where I live to Heathrow for under $600 Cdn. at those times. I am just waiting for the next announcement setting out windows in May before booking my 2002 flight over.

As an FYI, I have a friend who picked up one of the Air Canada specials recently and she is flying to London tonight with a friend. Return airfare from here to London, transfers to hotels in Regent Square and back to the airport later afterwards, plus three nights hotel cost her $659 Cdn.