Reload this Page >

Best time of year to travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Mary

I am taking my 1st trip to Austria/Switzerland in 2002 and would like advise on the best time of year to go. Any suggestions?

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Bob

You will get about 12 different months on this question but my recommendation would be September/October or June/July. The September/October is usually good for weather and no snow. You can also slip into Bavaria and it is nice then also. June/July good for summer period but you will have more tourists at that time plus chance of rain. Good luck. Beautiful countries to visit.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Rex

Austria is one country where I have found an August visit perfectly enjoyable. September will be fine, but I might think August better than October. Switzerland too. <BR> <BR>And I agree on June also. Never been there in July. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Ed

Depends. Doesn't everything? <BR> <BR>If you're interested in the mountains, stick with the center of the summer for the best of the wildflowers and the most reliable weather. There are a few more tourists, then, but with very good reason. Very late June to mid August would be best. Mid June as well as late August can be fine, though there will be almost no wildflowers and weather could include snow. <BR> <BR>If you'll not be in the mountains, then late May, all of June and September and into early or mid-October would be good normally. <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Ursula

... hm, well, usually september is good. But not the one this year, at least not up to now and forecast is very bad. Heating is on and is has been raining for almost the whole week and will be raining for the next days, at least in the norhtern part of Switzerland. <BR>Mary: I would pick second half of August, although it might be a little hot, but that's still better. <BR>Larissa who enquired soo much about Zurich is based here right now. I am sure, she will be quite disappointed, at least with the weather. <BR> <BR>But... things can be better in 2002! <BR> <BR>Mary, do you already have a rough idea about where you would like to go? Good advice is easier then.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Linda

Normally, I wouldn't recommend end of November/beginning of December but went to Vienna last year and really enjoyed the Christmas markets. Lots of fun things to see and the gluewein (hot wine) is great.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 07:21 PM
vipsha

We went to Switzerland last August/September and it felt beautiful. I say it felt beautiful, because it was not too cold, not warm. It was very cloudy though, and you really have to budget yourself extra time to make up for foggy rainy days if you plan on taking any of the scenic train rides. <BR>Surprisingly, we were in Austria in November 1999, and for some reason, we enjoyed it so much more. We visited Vienna and Salzburg. Both were not touristy at that time of the year. It was a little cold, but we were comfortable walking around in a sweater and a jacket. We really enjoyed having 'maronis' and coffee and pastries and all the wonderful food - I find it hard to do justice to the food during the summer. Salzburg was enchanting, it poured during our stay, and the rain made it even more romantic. The funicular to Hohensalzburg does not operate during the first couple of weeks in November, if you don't like hiking (30-40 minutes), you may want to check the schedules. There was still some foliage, though it wasn't very pretty (I am used to the oranges and reds of New England). <BR>If you like skiing, you could go in the winter. You could combine that with one or more of the numerous music festivals that they have every year in Vienna or Salzburg. They have some great spas in both countries. <BR>I hope you have a wonderful time whenever you decide to go. Email me if you have questions.