Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

best time of the year to walk the Camino de Santiago de Composte.a

Jan 16th, 2019, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Walking the camino has been on my bucket list for almost 10 years...I want to do this right...what is the best time of the year to walk? I am considering signing up with REI for a a guided tour starting in Bilbao and doing the Northern route....any advice? thank you
Jan 16th, 2019, 09:46 PM
kja

I'm sorry I can't provide information that would be of great value to you, but you might want to consult some climate data to see the historic temperature ranges (and means), ranges (and means) for rainfall, etc. I like weatherbase.com for that, but check around!

Hope that helps!
Jan 17th, 2019, 12:59 AM

The northern route, the Primitive route, is the most demanding of all (it´s mountains most of the way, and very humid, but also with spectacular landscapes). A friend of mine has done it last December, unusually dry, and has enjoyed it throughly. I´d say that April, May or October would be good months.
Jan 17th, 2019, 01:55 AM

As Mike says, but since it is also a spiritual journey I would also make sure your mind can be as empty as possible.
Just to be clear you will only be doing a small part of it if you start in Bilbao, you could start in Copenhagen or Canterbury if you wanted to, for example. Still, distance is unimportant. Having a carry service may or may not be fine. For one thing, I'm not sure that speed is important, having a "target" for the day seems to be a bit strange, very normal for a stressed person from an "Anglo-Saxon world" but perhaps not the right mind-space for someone walking the Camino. Either way, I'd seize the day and do it this year, after all why wait?
Jan 17th, 2019, 04:46 AM

Hi nana, Hopefully gruezi (a former Fodorite) will weigh in with her experiences. You might want to go to Search and type in trip reports Camino de Santiago for advice from other posters.

Some towns have Camino groups you can join to get support. The REI tour sounds like a good resource.

Good luck!
Jan 19th, 2019, 08:37 AM

My wife and one of her sisters did the 500 mile Camino Frances. My SIl was 74 at the time.
First, decide how much the Camino of you wish to walk. You need 100 km (or 60 miles) for your Compostela.
Then decide how long it will take you to walk that distance.

The trick under all circumstances to go after the snow has melted and there is little mud and before the summer when the Camino becomes crowded. It took them a little less than three months as they did not want to hurt themselves but still be with the Schengen Agreement. They left in late April.

The Confraternity of the Camino was a great asset.

https://www.csj.org.uk/

Buen Camino.

If you have additional questions, please ask.
Jan 20th, 2019, 08:29 AM

Doing the Camino

If you want to do the northern route from Bilbao, the Camino del Norte, then late spring or mid to late fall would be the best time, but you can always expenct some rain along the way. As Mikel notes, the scenery will be spectacular, and the foods not bad either. Of course you should go a few days earlier and do the walk from San Sebastián-Donostia to Bilbao.
Jan 20th, 2019, 10:48 AM

Hello,

I havent done any of the segments of the Camino del Norte so wont comment on that. Have done segments of the Francés , from O'Cebreiro to Santiago ( late June) and another year a partial repeat , from Sarria to Santiago in mid Sept. Both those dates worked well weather wise. Cool in the early morning, warming up as the day went on. Both times we only had rain once or twice. I also did the last 110+ kms of the Portugues, from Valenca to Santiago, but made the mistake of doing it in July. Too hot! Never again will I do a Camino in July! I wrote a Fodors report of my first Camino and I think I've given info on the others. I'm planning to do the Camino Inglés this Sept, we'll see how that goes!
Jan 20th, 2019, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler View Post
As Mike says, but since it is also a spiritual journey I would also make sure your mind can be as empty as possible.
Just to be clear you will only be doing a small part of it if you start in Bilbao, you could start in Copenhagen or Canterbury if you wanted to, for example. Still, distance is unimportant. Having a carry service may or may not be fine. For one thing, I'm not sure that speed is important, having a "target" for the day seems to be a bit strange, very normal for a stressed person from an "Anglo-Saxon world" but perhaps not the right mind-space for someone walking the Camino. Either way, I'd seize the day and do it this year, after all why wait?
I use a "carry service", as you call it, and carry a regular back pack. Nothing wrong with it. Unless you're planning to stay in Albergues reserved for Pilgrims its important to have a target distance each day for the purpose of being able to have reserved accommodations. Some of the Caminos have become very popular but availability of private accommodations havent kept pace. The three times Ive done a Camino Ive done it with reserved accommodations. It might take away the element of spontaneity but it gives you peace of mind that you wont end the day scouring the town for a bed.
Jan 27th, 2019, 08:20 PM

A friend and I will be walking part of the Camino Frances in April, around the second week. As it happens we will be in Santiago on Palm Sunday. [My walking companion is a Jewish Atheist recently diagnosed with leukemia and I am a raised-Roman-Catholic but now Episcopalian.]

My husband and i plan to walk it when we retire, but my friend and I are just doing a 3 day walk (4 nites). We are using an outfit called Camino Ways, which has been great. We will have one bag each transported (carry on size) and a small day pack. We have a hotel and dinner scheduled at each stop.

I'd recommend hopping onto some of the dedicated camino sites, such as https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/ for lots of specific info -- many questions you likely have have been asked and answered there -- Buen Camino!!
Jan 27th, 2019, 08:23 PM

Just to add more about weather, we chose Spring to avoid summer heat and crush. We will pack ponchos in case of rain, and roll-up sunhats and sunscreen in case of heat. If you have a choice, i'd argue for mid spring or mid autumn.