Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best time for me to visit Slovenia in the spring?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer to travel to Europe and other locations in the second half of September as the weather is still nice but the crowds are greatly reduced from the summer months.

Below is my itinerary that I was all booked for to Venice/Slovenia starting this September. Unfortunately, I suffered an injury recently that required surgery last week so it is looking like I'm going to have to cancel. I'm pretty bummed about it .

While there is still a chance I'll heal enough to still make this fall's trip, it is a long shot. So, my options would be to push the trip to next fall (for obvious reasons I'd prefer not to wait that long) or to look at a date in the spring. For those who know Slovenia, what time period meets the criteria stated above as well as the snow having safely cleared from the roads/valleys/etc. of the mountainous areas listed below with no more possibility of a winter storm? I'm into photography so I do like the idea of spring wildflowers in the mountain meadows! My itinerary would remain the same.

Days 1-3 in Venice
Day 4 - Venice to Bovec
Day 5 - Bovec to Lake Bled on Route 206 through Vrsic pass
Day 6 - Second night in Lake Bled
Day 7 -Lake Bled to Bohinj for the day and then onto Ljubljana
Day 8 - Ljubljana
Day 9 - Day trip circular route to Jezersko - briefly through Austria and then into the Logar Valley - Kamnik - back to Ljubljana
Day 10 - Day trip to Predjama Castle, the Postojna Caves and Sleznik castle
Day 11 - Another day in Ljubljana.
Day 12 - Return to Venice for two nights

Thanks!
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 07:37 AM

May and June are excellent times to go.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SloJan2! I had been thinking along the lines of the first two weeks of May, or is that a little early for the mountains? Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 07:29 PM
kja

I visited in Slovenia in mid-June and thought it wonderful - clear roads, but snow still clearly visible on the mountains, and lots and lots of flowers. I would think a bit earlier would also work well, but I don't know how much earlier.

BTW, for very different reasons, I made the switch from traveling during the fall shoulder season to traveling during the spring shoulder season some years ago, and I'm so glad I did! Much as I love fall colors, I delight in the spring wildflowers. And it seems to me that the people involved in the tourist industry - hoteliers and restauranteurs and their staff, tourist information providers, etc. - are much more readily engaged when tourists begin returning to their businesses than when their season of long hours and long lines and odd requests is drawing to a close.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 10:05 PM

I think the first two weeks of May would be fine. Just know that if you plan on kayaking or rafting (or canyoning), the rivers will probably be quite high.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Good points kja, I'll have to consider that. And thanks for the well wishes! SloJan2, no plans for any of those activities but I bet the waterfalls will be extra impressive for photos!

Thanks!