Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best things to do in London with a 6 year old (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-things-to-do-in-london-with-a-6-year-old-353079/)

ellene Aug 29th, 2003 10:22 AM

Best things to do in London with a 6 year old

I will be travelling to London with my 6 year old. What are the best things to do there for him?

Tulips Aug 29th, 2003 10:30 AM

What does he like to do? My children like the aquarium (next to London Eye), the Science Museum, the Natural History Museum, but HARRODS TOY DEPARTMENT is a must too. They think afternoon tea is boring, but they do like Yo Sushi. And they sell a cool Hogwarts Gryffindor robe at Marks & Spencer (to double as a dressing gown).

mr_go Aug 29th, 2003 10:36 AM

My daughter really enjoyed the street performers around Covent Garden. If the weather's OK, that's a safe bet.

ben_haines_london Aug 29th, 2003 10:50 AM

I have on disc quite a note on what Fodors forum people have said their children liked in London. Please tell me if you would like a copy by e-mail.

You are both very welcome

[email protected]

jsmith Aug 29th, 2003 11:01 AM

1. Hamley's toy store on Regent St.

2. London Transport Museum in Covent Garden. There are things to climb on and in and out of.

3. The Tower of London - what little boy doesn't like castles.

4. Regent Park Zoo

5. The Egyptian statues at the British Museum

6. Natural History Museum and Science Museum - both usually have some sort of hands on exhibit

MelJ Aug 29th, 2003 11:01 AM

If you read him a few stories about Knoghts and Kings (or rent "The Sword in the Stone" before going), he'll probably enjoy the armor display in the White Tower at the Tower of London. Armor for everyone from King Henry VIII (and his horse!) to children's armor, lots of swords, etc.

A side trip to Windsor (about 25 minutes by train from Paddington for the castle or Waterloo for LegoLand) will give him a chance to go into a real, working castle--with a side trip to Legoland!

Chinatown is colorful and good for a walkthrough.

And don't forget Hanley's Toy Store!

4totravel Aug 29th, 2003 11:10 AM

I have two boys, six and five and they have been to London abvout six times and they love the simple things -
1) Riding in the top of a double decker bus (in the front seat of course)
2) Always Hamleys on Regent Street
3) Riding in a London Cab
4) Playing in Kensington Garden (especially the pirate ship)
5) Our last trip they liked to Science museum a lot and all of the animal exhibits at the Natural History Museum
6) Having lunch at Harrods
7) And my oldest son loves to get his haircut in London!! He went once because he desparately needed a haircut and the woman spent an hour cutting his hair...and everytime we go to London now he begs us to get his harircut!!
Enjoy!

Marsha Aug 29th, 2003 12:40 PM

Great thread! We will be in London next spring with a 6, almost 7 boy who loves swords, knights, castles, armor etc. In addition to the White Tower, are there any other suggested sights for him? We will also be spending some time in and around York - any suggestions for sights there that would interest him?

RachelG Aug 29th, 2003 01:00 PM

In York, they have this middle ages theme park ride that my boys loved--it's like something you would see at Disney World but a bit longer and complete with smells! In London, they loved the Tower and Tower Bridge and the British Museum (lots of ancient stuff). We also went to Starlight Express which is a great way to introduce your kids to theatre. No one could be bored in it with all the roller blading.

laurelt Aug 29th, 2003 02:40 PM

Hampton Court is great for kids. They have a hedge maze and carriage rides. My kids also liked the brass rubbing center in the basement at St. Martin-in-the-Fields.

annettetx Aug 29th, 2003 02:57 PM

We took our kids to London for the first time when they were 6 and 7.
They loved:
riding on the top of double decker buses
brass rubbing at St. Martin in the Fields
going through the maze at Hampton Court Palace
playing on the Princess Diana playground in Kensington Gardens
the kids' gallery in the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich
the National Portrait Gallery and the National Gallery -- they really loved getting their own audio guides for the museums and listening to the descriptions for kids
riding the tube
the theater -- unfortunately Starlight Express has closed, but we saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in May and loved it!
I put together a document about travelling to London with kids for friends of ours. I'd be happy to e-mail it to you if you like.
Annette

LeslieC Aug 29th, 2003 09:22 PM

Don't forget to ride on the London Eye! Also, the 'Round London sightseeing tour or the Big Bus tour will be nice for all since it helps you get an overview of the city. These are double decker buses so you can ride up top. You can hop on and off for a full 24 hour period which is nice since the little ones tire of walking so quickly.
(and I think one of them sells a combo ticket that includes a boat ride on the Thames.)

Tulips Aug 30th, 2003 12:47 AM

Oh and the London Froggy Tours, which is now called I think the London Duck tour. It's a tour with an amfibian craft that also goes into the thames. He will love that. Do a search on this site; lots of info on London with kids.

ellene Aug 30th, 2003 02:44 AM

Thanks so much for all the suggestions,my son will love the amphibian tour. I ordered tix to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and hope the car is working that day, and tix to the Key Ceremony at the Tower of London. Will definitely do the eye with him.
Any other thoughts would be great.

KidsToLondon Sep 2nd, 2003 09:08 AM

Ellene,

This post has done a good job of listing most of the top attractions in London for a 6 year old.

How long will you be in London? Your challenge will be choosing which sights to see and setting up a flexible, reasonable itenerary.

My son has visited London many times since he was 6 years old. His favorite (indoor) activity has been the Science Museum, with its extensive hands-on exhibits. At age 6, the Transport Museum in Covent Garden is also right up there in the "hands-on" category. The street entertainers, shops, etc. in Covent Garden are an added bonus.

Hamley's is a 6-story department store filled with toys. While much of the merchandise is familiar, there is a bit that is unique to the UK. Your child will probably be enthralled with Hamley's--bring your credit card!

At the Tower of London, be sure to take a tour led by a Yeoman Warder. Most of these gentlemen are great guides and really are a big hit with visiting kids. When you go to the Tower, arrive early to avoid lines. You can buy tickets in advance at many London Underground stations.

London's zoo, in my opinion, is not a "must-see" if you have been to other major zoos.

If you have time to take a day trip, the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich has been redesigned into a top-notch family attraction. The nearby Old Royal Observatory is also worthwhile. Your child would probably also enjoy commuting to/from Greenwich on the driverless Docklands Light Railway or taking a boat trip on the Thames to reach Greenwich.

Enjoy planning (and taking) your trip!

David White
[email protected]