Search

Pisa Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Bev

Pisa Hotels

Can anyone suggest a hotel in Pisa? I tried to book the Villa Primavera, but there were no rooms available. Looking for something clean, but not too expensive. Only staying one night.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Paulo

What's expensive? Your other posted message mentioned a triple. In case you didn't find your other message I'm reposting my reply. In case you did, you could have added a reply to the previous thread (something such ... Lit 200,000 is too expensive for me, or else!) <BR> <BR>... <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Royal Victoria, Bev. This is a 3-star that overlooks the river Arno. The maximum rate for a triple is Lit 200,000, including breakfast. If you have a car, they've got a garage for Lit 30,000. <BR> <BR>http://www.royalvictoriahotel.it/en-testa.htm <BR> <BR>The hotel is housed in an historic medieval building and is in business since 1839 (always with the same family). <BR> <BR>When we were there in the summer of 97, the hotel conveyed (at least to me) a somewhat sad (kind of nostalgic?) feeling. I could "feel" what the hotel must have been till the first half of this century, being the most important in the city with celebrities, members of aristocratic families and big-shots of business and entertainment, meating and chatting in the several public halls, some of which impressively grand. On the other hand, I couldn't avoid feeling sad for the strugle of the family in keeping up with it. They were restoring some public rooms and it was evident they were doing it with a lot of sacrifice (in July I don't think the hotel had more than 20% of its capacity taken). It was strange to see those grand public rooms just about empty. <BR> <BR>The atmosphere of the hotel is rare/unique, because of its old-fashioned size, ornate ceilings and original very fine furniture. On the other hand, the style is quite austere. <BR> <BR>Rooms are not air conditioned (at least they weren't in 1997). In case you're travelling in summer a word of caution may be in order. If one has to keep windows open (to let the air vent through the shutters), rooms overlooking the river may be noisy till about 1am (one can hear the street chat). One should consider taking a room in the back (at the expense of a very nice view of the river). The austere sleeping rooms/bathrooms are spacious and were spotlessly clean. <BR> <BR>The "fodorite" I know who used it last (this year) is Walter (paradiselost). Maybe he's got a word or two to add. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Bev

Thanks for the information. I need to find out if they have a/c. If they do, and I can call and inquire, it sounds like the place for us! <BR> <BR>Thanks again!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 11:39 AM
Walter

Bev: Sorry no AC at the Royal Victoria, unless they put in window units for the summer but I doubt it. I stayed there in Mar01 so AC wasn't an issue for me. Paulo responded to my hotel search post and recommended this hotel. I checked-out their website and booked it for 2 nights with a request for an top floor front facing (Arno view) room which I received. I agree with Paulo's post on the hotel. The hotel has seen better days but it is so unique, I think people would either love it or hate it. I loved it, the furniture was antique (bed, dresser, freestanding closet) and the rooms very large. Actually I had 3 rooms, you enter into what I assume was a sitting room with the bathroom and bedroom off of this room. The ceiling is so high there were windows above the door between the sitting room and bedroom. The rooms are clean but do show their age, the walls are whitewashed and the furniture well worn. I believe it is the only hotel in Pisa that is on the Arno. I would stay there again except if I needed AC, I loved the river view, the hotel's uniqueness and the staff was so very friendly. HTH Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 11:43 AM
Graziella

Hi Bev, We were recently in Pisa, actually we stayed in the Villa Primavera, and where very pleased only 120.000 for a double with parking and a basic breakfast. <BR>Did you tried the Leonardo, which seems very pleasant? <BR>As I have been saying before do not eat at Da Bruno a horrible trattoria mentioned and recommended in serveral books. It turned out to be both expensive for a trattoria and horrible.

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 07:46 AM
Bev

Paulo and Walter, thanks for the info. I emailed the hotel and received a very kind reply that a room is available. She said that with thick walls and high ceilings the lack of a/c is not an issue. They do provide fans for guests requesting them. I'm thinking seriously about this hotel based on the info you two provided. My husband really prefers a/c, but I think a fan would do the job, and it sounds like a wonderful place to stay! How hot is it in late July? Couldn't be any worse than where we live!

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 09:05 AM
Paulo

It may get pretty hot during the day (mid 90s and up), Bev, cooling down in the evening/night (low 80s). When we were there in July 97 we started out opening the windows (to ventilate the room which had been closed all day long). Once we could hear the chat down in the streetwalk, we closed them after ½ hour or so and didn't feel unconfortable at all. We didn't even use a fan! I must be more or less like your husband ... when travelling in summer I get a/c 4 out of 5 times. When I reserved the Royal Victoria I knew there was no a/c but I decided to risk because it was a very good value at the time (we used 2 rooms) and also because I didn't have to bother finding a place for the car. As it turned out, it wouldn't be a problem even with much higher temperatures. Once the hotel was quite empty, I'm sure we would be able to change rooms to the back if necessary.<BR><BR>Be sure to explore the maze of narrow alleys in the vicinity of the hotel at night. It was very lively and there are dozens of small retsurants and bars to choose from.<BR><BR>Paulo

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Walter

Topping for Michael and Tressy <BR>Regards, Walter

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Patrick

Another vote for the Royal Victoria. It has been several years since we spent a couple of nights there. Funny, I don't remember about the lack of AC even though I know the weather was very hot then and normally I look only for AC places. One of the sons of the owners, set us up for a wonderful meal nearby at a place where no one spoke a word of English. He called ahead, confered with us and we even preordered some specials. We went and were treated like the distant visiting relatives. They couldn't do enough for us. After we returned to the hotel we sat up until about 2 in the morning talking with this young man (in college at the time) and learned so much about Pisa and Italian "politics" in general. The room was immense, charmingly furnished mostly with antiques, and spotlessly clean, although I agree there was a sort of mysterious faded glory about the whole place. With the very high ceilings, I'd forget about the AC for just one night. It is a unique stay.

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Patrick

OK, just checked my journal from 1997. "After sitting up half the night with the college age son of the owner talking about everything under the sun, we finally went to bed. The windows were open (no AC) and the noise from out by the river was pretty bad -- where was all that traffic coming from at 3 in the morning? But it had been a magnificent day and a most memorable dinner -- we couldn't have been happier. This is what traveling in Europe is supposed to be!" So I guess I did notice the lack of AC, but in my memory I had forgotten that in lieu of all the wonderful stuff.

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Mike Miller

Stayed the Royal Victoria this past Oct. It's one of those places you will always remember after you've stayed there. We felt like we were transported back in time as in an old movie. Yes it is old and the facilities are not up to date but as Paulo said, the public rooms are beautiful and the whole place has personality, charm and an atmostphere you just do not come across very often. It also has a very helpful staff. It was a joy just to go into the room with all of the old pictures in it and imagine what it was like when they all were guests. There is a small Trattoria right next door. It had the best seafood we ate in our 2 weeks in Italy.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 01:38 PM
sara

Look at the Pisa Online website,<BR>http://www.pisaonline.it/

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 12:08 AM
Walter

ttt for jan

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:35 AM
pq

I just came back from a week in Italy and I can say the Royal Victoria is a good hotel. It does not look nearly as grand as it is pictured on the web site and the room itself is pretty bare. But if your like me all you need is somewhere to lay your at night. What is also good is that there is a bus stop just outside the hotel and the bus, in early morning, is all of 10 minutes to the train station.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:05 AM
2top

, , , bump for jd , , ,<BR>