Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Spetzel in Munich? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-spetzel-in-munich-462446/)

johnb Jul 26th, 2004 05:42 AM

Best Spetzel in Munich?

I want to drink in the beer gardens maybe have a pretzel. But I want to eat in local restaurants. Any good local rest and spetzel (sorry if misspelled).
johnb

SydneySteve Jul 26th, 2004 06:20 AM

I enjoyed the Bavarian veal specialty dish with spaetzle recently at the Spatenhaus near The Residenz. They have their own beer which is pretty good too. Ask to order the special that comes in a cast iron pan and is from the Bavarian and not the tourist menu. Enjoy.

Budman Jul 26th, 2004 06:32 AM

Here's another vote for the Spatenhaus.

Augustiner Keller beer garden near the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) is a great beer garden frequented by many locals. I consider it the "best beer" in Bavaria, but that's just my opinion. Try it and let me know. ((b)) ((b))

RufusTFirefly Jul 26th, 2004 08:36 AM

Didn't try spaetzel here, but a nice, traditional restaurant in Munich.

http://www.liebighof.de/

Betsy Jul 26th, 2004 09:54 AM

And while you're there, stop in a kitchen store or a department store and buy a spaetzlehobel, so you can make home-made spaetzel when you return home. Easy and fun.

hsv Jul 26th, 2004 10:31 AM

Trouble with this question is that actually "Spaetzle" are not a local specialty in Munich. Their origin is in the region of Schwaben, more to the West of Southern Germany.
So, do you want local food or is your preference on Spaetzle?

ira Jul 26th, 2004 10:35 AM

Is there anywhere else on the net where one can not only find where to get good spaetzel in Munich, but also learn that it is not indigenous to that part of Germany?

hsv Jul 26th, 2004 11:52 AM

Ira,

aren't we an elite few here on this board ;-) ?

In order to not split hairs and remain constructive, I take it, johnb, you are also interested in beer gardens and other local type restaurants.
My suggestions (although without a Spaetzle- guarantee, but all with good pretzels ;-) ) for rustic local fare places:

- Unionsbraeu in Haidhausen
- Hofbraeukeller in Haidhausen (not to be moxed up with the touristy Hofbraeuhaus in the City Center)
- Wirtshaus in der Au (across the riverr, behind Deutsches Museum)
- Weisses Brauhaus ("Schneider Weisse" in the City Center).

For beer gardens:

- Waldwirtschaft in Grosshesselohe (lovely place in posh residential neighborhood in Munich's Southern suburb of Grosshesselohe close to Pullach, featuring Jazz)

- Seehaus (in Englischer Garten park, food very pricey and IMO not really worth it)

- Aumeister (further out in Englischer Garten)

- Hofbraeukeller in Haidhausen
- Unions Braeu in Haidhausen

johnb Jul 26th, 2004 11:58 AM

"Gee" HSV, I want both?

johnb Jul 26th, 2004 12:04 PM

Thanks hsv and all!!!! Good info for first timer. My only contact with German food was the Dutchman's rest on Long Beach Island, NJ.. Had veal cutlet and spaetzel with red cabbage mmm good!
johnb

ira Jul 26th, 2004 12:22 PM

Hi john,

>My only contact with German food was the Dutchman's rest on Long Beach Island, NJ.. Had veal cutlet and spaetzel with red cabbage mmm good!<

Ach, you are in for a treat. Be prepared to gain weight.

rach Jul 27th, 2004 09:30 AM

Not a real answer, but I was such a fan of Spaetzle that I named by dog "Spaetzle" and trained him in german!

Curious Jul 27th, 2004 10:02 AM

I love spaetzle too, but my wife can make great spaetzle here in the US. It is very easy. We even have a spaetzle maker!

For a real treat, try the potato dumplings. They are to die for. We have tried to make them here, but even close.

Another vote for - Weisses Brauhaus. It is at the end of Tal Strasse just before the Marienplatz. Terrific!

Curious

KarenK Jul 27th, 2004 12:20 PM

No one has yet mentioned Donisl, on the side street to the left of the Marienplatz as you loof facing the building.
My Bavarian friends always take me there.

mike_b12 Jul 30th, 2004 03:43 PM

What type of food is spaetzle?
thanks,
mike

ira Jul 30th, 2004 03:52 PM

Hi mike,

If you go to www.google.com and enter "spaetzel", your question will be answered.

elberko Jul 31st, 2004 07:38 AM

I'm a big fan of google, but in this case you have to wade through recipies to figure it out.

Mike, spaetzle are a type of noodle/dumpling kind of thing. Easy to make at home- I use a ziplock bag with the tip cut off. I got really fustrated with spaetzle-makers even though I'm a competent cook.