Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Spain Itinerary for Seville to San Sebastian

Jan 7th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Hello friends,

My husband and I are looking to plan a semi last minute getaway to Spain in April. His main interest are Food and Wine, ditto for me but I would add picturesque towns and cultural sights to my list of interests as well. With that being said, Andalusia calls to me while Basque country calls to my husband. I'd love to hear thoughts on the feasibility of doing a sampling of both, rather than an in depth visit of one or the other. We prefer smaller cities, villages and the countryside over large cities, so Barcelona and Madrid aren't high on our list, and while it is tempting to see as much as possible we would like to keep our 10-12 night trip to a maximum of 3-4 locations (not including day trips). Is this feasible given the travel distances between Seville and San Sebastian:

3 nights Seville
3 nights Madrid
3 nights San Sebastian
1 or 2 nights La Rioja

Possible day trips: Toledo OR Cordoba, Granada, Jerez

The other big question is - is Seville to San Sebastian just too far to travel in one day without spending the night somewhere (likely Madrid) in between? It looks like we would return to Madrid to fly home once visiting Basque country, and I don't want to stop there twice.

All input and advice is welcome and very much appreciated.
Best,
Amanda
Jan 7th, 2015, 04:02 PM

You should visit the Rioja before heading up to Donostia-San Sebastián. Ábalos (Villa de Ábalos***) or Villabuena de Álava (Hotel Viura****) would make a good stop for a day or two.

www.hotelvilladeabalos.com
www.hotelviura.com

You can fly from San Sebastián, Bilbao or Pamplona to Madrid, or take the train from Pamplona.
Jan 8th, 2015, 08:30 AM

When in April...during Easter?
Spain has Food, Wine, picturesque towns and cultural sights everywhere.
Fly from Sevilla to Bilbao with Vueling Airlines.
Stay in The Basque country to visit the Bodegas in that region. One can have a sip of Rioja anywhere. But the Basque wines are not so commonly found.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/11/di...pagewanted=all
http://www.aiaraldea.org/en/discover.../txakoli-route
You will need to maybe prebook your visits.
Jan 8th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. So it sounds like you do think it's reasonable to combine Seville with Basque country - perhaps we will fly into Seville for 3-4 nights, then up to Bilbao. Basque Country for 4 nights, and wrapping things up in Madrid for 3. We will likely visit mid to late April missing Easter.

It was funny to see @ribeirasacra's notes on Txakolina, my husband sells wine and just told me last night that he would love to visit this region. I'll start looking into it! Thank you for these articles to start with.
Jan 8th, 2015, 02:46 PM

good to know.
There is a poster on here ( mikelg) who is native of the area and works as a guide.
I hope he does pops along here and give some more Basque wine suggestions.
Jan 8th, 2015, 04:05 PM

Enjoy that Spain trip...I have a report on ours last October. What I see in your plan though is too much travel distance, i.e., from one end of Spain to the other. I would prefer a more leisurely visit to Andalucia along with Madrid with days in cities like Sevilla, Ronda, Toledo, Cordoba, Malaga. But also some hiking and entertainment and dining. You note my recent post on discovering duende, e.g., and that is part of travel. Years ago we explored the area around Salamanca, Avila, Segovia along with Madrid, a city with its own sights.