Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Soap to Use? When washing out clothes in the sink!

Jul 24th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Judy

Hello All, I know this is somewhat trivial, but here goes..... I am not a fan of washing clothes in a a hotel room sink, BUT sometimes the "need"(sometimes odorous) arises....... What type of soap do use? Do you bring some dishwasher liquid soap, or do you do the Fels Naptha route. Are there any other products or procedures that you would recommend? I was thinking about this, as others on this Forum were talking about the Kyoto accord,,,,what the connection was, I can not fathom. Anyhooo, I would like your ideas on this weighty matter.
Judy ;-)

Jul 24th, 2001, 12:51 PM
s.fowler

I've been carrying a couple of those little bottles of shampoo that you get in hoterls in the US -- works fine! The standard one is woolite -- it's available as a powder in convenient travel-size packets.

Jul 24th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Dirty Bird

I learned from a tip a long time ago.
The tipster said that shampoo works fine on clothes because it takes out oils that your hair would have and leaves your clothes oil and persperation free. I have used it every since and they usually leave a nice scent. I too use the hotel ones in the nice little bottles, then dump them as I go.

Jul 24th, 2001, 12:59 PM
topper

Of the 178 countries that ratified the Kyoto accord, not one of them was represented by a diplomat who washed out his/her clothes in Woolite the night before.

17.3% of them were represented by a diplomat whose clothing was in need of laundry services, but it wasn't the politically correct thing to do.

2.6% were represented by a diplomat who had to strain and grimace to control "carbon emissions", lest his/her job be put on the line.

The rest have a very hush-hush relationship with their favorite Chinese laundry, and haven't worn any item hung out on a clothesline since 1957.

Jul 24th, 2001, 12:59 PM
elvira

Shampoo all the way. Not only does it do double duty, but it's manufactured to rinse out squeaky clean, and you need barely a dab.

Jul 24th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Judy

Whew boy, that shampoo tip, seems very sensible...I have lots of the little bottles from my travels.....Thanks Heloise wannabees(like myself).
That pesky Kyoto thing just won't quit....BUT Topper, I love the smell of clothes fresh from the line! BTW, Barbra Streisand is a great fan of clothes dried outside.....she wants to help with energy crisis in CA.
Judy ;-)

Jul 24th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Holly

Stick to the liquid stuff. You'll never get the soapscum left behind from bar soap out of dark clothing until you put it into a machine.

Jul 24th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Mel

Shampoo--me, too. It's handy, it's disposable, it rinses out quickly. Another hint you all probably know, that works great for faster drying: Lay an extra bath towel on the floor, lay your undies/pj's on it, roll the towel up lengthwise and twist HARD. Get's an amazing amount of moisture out of the clothes MUCH faster than wringing over and over by hand. I've never had anything stretch out, but I don't do sweaters, shirts, etc., just underwear.

Jul 24th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Doonesbury saw

... that 99.8% of California's homeowners' associations actually have bylaws prohibiting clothes lines in the neighborhood. It was in a strip a month or so ago.

Maybe Ba-Ba essentially owns the whole neighborhood, or the whole homeowners' association, so she can put one up wherever she pleases.

Jul 24th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Christina

I take a little powdered detergent (which isn't that easy to find any more, I use Fresh Start) in some plastic wrap for heavier duty stuff. But mostly I use the shower gel provided in the hotels as it's right there--this is fine for underwear and lighter weight stuff, and you don't have to pack it, at least it's been in every hotel I've stayed at recently.

Jul 24th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Gail

Hi Judy - I usually use the shampoo method, too, but when last in France I bought a small squeeze tube of laundry gel in the local grocery store. It had a great fragrance and was fun to use a local product! Well, as FUN as doing laundry can be....

Jul 24th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Donna

I save up those little foil packets and tiny plastic bottles of shampoo (which I never use on my hair) from hotel room stays. Shampoo works just great! Be advised, though, to start out with a little, then add more. Some brands make too many suds. If this happens, toss a little bar of soap in the basin. Gets rid of the excess bubbles immediately.

Jul 24th, 2001, 07:14 PM
anne

Woolite sells little packages in a box. one packet washes a couple of shirts and some undies.
I wouldn't leave w/o it!

Jul 24th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Andy

I travel w/small plastic bottle of Woolite AND a tube of STAINSTICK for those drippy meals that leave lasting impressions!!! NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!!