Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best small towns England (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-small-towns-england-261467/)

sue Sep 27th, 2002 07:19 AM

Best small towns England

Saw the thread on Best small towns in Italy. What about England?

S. C. DIXON Sep 27th, 2002 07:28 AM

I’m rather fond of Cheltenham.

Steve Sep 27th, 2002 07:31 AM

Conniston<BR>Grasmere<BR>Marlborough<BR>Rydal Mount<BR>Church Stretton

Gareth Sep 28th, 2002 07:50 AM

There was a very good thead on exactly this subject some months ago. Try searching for it. If I rember it was very extensice and metioned about 5,000 village the lenth of the UK

steve Sep 28th, 2002 02:21 PM

Haltwhistle in Northern England is a good choice for exploring Hadrian's Wall. Stayed at Ashcroft B&B - excellent value.<BR><BR>On the edge of the Cotwolds is Fairford. Nice lilttle town with excellent stained glass in the local church. Retired Military can stay on the RAF base - excellent value

Non Sep 28th, 2002 03:13 PM

Are you only going to England or do you mean the U.K. Ever thought or Wales, Scotland, Ireland?

sue Sep 28th, 2002 03:27 PM

Yes we have thought of the rest of the UK but right now this trip is still very much in the planning and wishing stages and not sure how long we'll be able to get away. I've looked into the above ideas and filed them for reference. I relly like the looks of Ashcroft guesthouse. Thanks so much for the help in getting started.

Maggie Sep 28th, 2002 03:54 PM

Malmesbury in Wiltshire. The gateway to the Cotswolds!<BR>Visit Malmesbury, the oldest borough in England, with its wonderful Norman Abbey and then head north up the A429 to give you access to marvellous honeypot towns and villages in the Cotswolds.<BR>Enjoy your trip!<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie

Maggie Sep 28th, 2002 04:29 PM

Malmesbury in Wiltshire. The gateway to the Cotswolds!<BR>Visit Malmesbury, the oldest borough in England, with its wonderful Norman Abbey and then head north up the A429 to give you access to marvellous honeypot towns and villages in the Cotswolds.<BR>Enjoy your trip!<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie

Sandy Sep 28th, 2002 04:38 PM

I second the vote for Malmesbury. <BR><BR>Keswick in the Lake District.<BR><BR>Robin Hood's Bay in Yorkshire.<BR><BR><BR>

Margo Sep 29th, 2002 01:28 PM

Three of my favorites that come to mind:<BR> 1. Ashford on Water (near Bakewell in Peakes district.<BR> 2. Betws-y-Coed (in Snowdonia Park, Wales)<BR> 3. Woodstock (next to Blenheim)

Anne Sep 29th, 2002 02:31 PM

Whitby!!<BR>it is a small coastal town in the Yorkshires. We stayed in a crooked old Hotel from the 1600's. It was called the Horse and Griffin. The restuarant in it is rated one of the Top restaurants in UK.<BR>The old Abbey there is something to behold. There is actually a lot of history there from WWII.<BR>Anywhere little village in Yorkshire is a treat!!