Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best small town base and hotel in Alsace?

Feb 18th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

We'll be in Alsace in mid-September (with car) and would appreciate suggestions of good hotels in one of the villages. We'd prefer to keep the nightly cost to a maximum of 175 euros. We prefer to avoid any place where access or parking is a problem. Thanks in advance for your help.
Feb 18th, 2007, 12:46 PM

I'm looking for this info as well
Feb 18th, 2007, 01:23 PM

You couldn't do better than this:
http://www.vrbo.com/101260

Check out their personal site too. Parking is private, so not a problem.

They may be fully booked for when you are going.

I had dinner with the owners in Paris a week ago.

Enjoy..............
Feb 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Hi, nrwayne...

There are lots of threads and tons of info about Alsace's towns/sights here in the forum. Just do a search. Let us know what you picked.
Feb 18th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Hi nrwayne - We stayed at L'Ami Fritz in Otrott and loved it. About 120 euros. September is a great time to go. Lucky you!
Feb 18th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Another vote for L'Ami Fritz in Ottrott. We had no problem parking there. Note, however, that parking is not always easy in the Alsace towns. Some have parking lots. Our room was beautiful and comfortable.
Feb 18th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

L'Ami Fritz looks interesting, but the reviews at Trip Advisor are not so good. What about Hostellerie des Chateaux? That seems to have a higher rating. I'm aware that Trip Advisor isn't always the most reliable, but the negatives about L'Ami Fritz are a concern.
Feb 18th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestion about the house in Riquewihr, but after a recent trip to Umbria where we stayed in an agriturismo where we were the only guests my wife is totally against staying in "someone else's house". So it's hotels with at least eight rooms for us.
Feb 18th, 2007, 04:00 PM

I wouldn't say that this was "someone's house", as you put it. This happens to be a very deluxe, in every way, rental apartment!! It was completed in November..pretty well fully rented for this year because it is such a lovely spot. Probably not available.
Feb 18th, 2007, 07:54 PM

We stayed in the town of Obernai in July 2006. The town is well situated for day trips to Colmar, Strasbourg, the route du vin and other sights in the region. Hotel le Colombier was a simple yet comfortable place to call home for our week's stay in the Alsace. It has an underground garage (fee) where spaces are tight. We managed to manoeuver our VW Golf into a spot each night. Well worth it for the convenience!
Feb 19th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your recommendation about the apartment rental, but we are agreed upon a small hotel.
We seem to have narrowed down to Hostellerie du Chateau in Equisheim and L'Ami Fritz in Ottrott. Both seem to be in slightly less crowded areas, yet close enough to the other towns along the wine route.
That much said, I'd appreciate comments on Equisheim compared to Ottrott and Hostellerie du Chateau (if anyone has stayed there) to L'Ami Fritz.
So long as the room is modern, clean, and comfortable, that's fine with us. Huge and lavish is not essential. Pretty grounds, nice breakfast, and friendly staff are important, however. Further thoughts please.
Feb 19th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Eguisheim is a small, charming Alsacian town. I don't know the hotel, however. The town would be lovely place to base yourself for touring.
Feb 19th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Hi nrwayne, I'll be staying at the Hostellerie du Chateau for 4 nights in early June (after 3 nights in Strasbourg). Can't help you now but I'll be able to let you know in early July. By the way, it looks nice on its website and reviews I've read are positive. Miriam
Feb 20th, 2007, 02:50 PM

A few years ago I was touring Europe as I had 6 weeks free. I found the town of Colmar and ended up spending 5 days there. I just fell in love with the place. All the hotels near the train station were full, so I hiked into the main downtown. I found a Mercure hotel that actually sits in the middle of a park. Nothing like having fountains going off near your window.

I can't say it's still a Mercure, but it's worth checking out.

Colmar is called the little Venice because of all the small canals running through the town.

It's located about an hour south of Strasbourg.
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:34 AM

Another vote for L'Ami Fritz in Ottrott. We stayed there in June of 2002 and were very pleased. They don't have A/C, but you probably won't need it in September. They have a very good restaurant also, and their own parking.
Feb 21st, 2007, 05:12 AM

Otrott is a nice town. However, I recommend there Le Clos des Delices. Excellent food.
http://www.leclosdesdelices.com/

Another option for the southern part of Alsace is the village Gueberschwihr. They have a pretty nice hotel: Le Relais du Vignoble. It is officially rated 2 stars and has 2-star-rates, but I would rank it 3 stars.

http://www.relaisduvignoble.com/
Feb 21st, 2007, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Pending a reply from the Hostellerie du Chateaux, that will be our base while in Alsace. So far, we've sent two messages, one by email and one by fax, but we have not had a response. We assume that they may be away, on vacation or otherwise, so a bit more patience may be required.
Having been to Alsace previously, we prefer to base in a one of the smaller villages, hopefully less crowded than Riquewihr and Ribeauville. Prior to our few days in Alsace, we'll be staying in the middle of Baden Baden.
Assuming that we are confirmed in Eguisheim, we plan to visit Colmar and several of the villages to the north, all of which are reasonably close by.
Feb 21st, 2007, 07:31 AM

I stayed in Eguisheim in 2002 and it is a very charming small town and a nice base for touring Alsace. Really nice town square with Leon Beyer wine tasting storefront right on it and a nice cafe. We daytripped to Colmar and went to many wineries on the Run de Vin. Enjoy -- if you want the small village experience I think it will suit you.
Feb 21st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

We just got a fax from Hostellerie du Chateau offering a standard double room at 91 euros or superior at 104. They had emailed, but we never received same. In any case, we're going with the superior and look forward to our visit to Eguisheim. Should be most pleasant. At this point, we'd be interested in suggestions for restaurants and places to visit. We generally prefer the Michelin Bib Gourmand recommendations, i.e., good value restaurants, but am always interested in other worthwhile ideas from people who have recently traveled to the area.
Feb 21st, 2007, 07:13 PM

My wife and I spent 2 nights in Obernai at Hotel Diligence, and 2 nights in Eguisheim and stayed at Hostellerie du Chateau. We loved both towns and both hotels. Both hotels are in the Michelin guide

du Chateau is located right on the village center. The rooms are very modern, many of them done in an African motiff. If memory serves me right, the owners wife spent a lot of time in Africa. The room was spotless, well appointed and the petit breakfast excellent. I highly recommend it. Try for a room on the 1st floor (our 2nd)overlooking the square. Eguisheim is very quiet, especially at night, with lots of wine tasting.

We did not stay at L'Ami Fritz, but had a drink there. To me, Eguisheim had more character, and more wineries and retaurants than Ottrot.

We loved Alsace and hope to go back. ENJOY!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO