Best small city bases for car-free late March trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeking best small city base for family trip: one kid 20, one 30 (chef), plus parents (all Alaskan, non-urban) seek advice to plan car-free, rail oriented 8 days in Italy. Plan to rent apartment, live together, stay in one place a week, get a feel for life and culture in one place with side trips via rail. Not seeking glitterati, or shopping. (Had thought of Cinque Terre hiking, focus on food, occasional archaeological site or museum, will cook at home and eat out). Don't want big urban scene, but don't want too tiny a town, would like some activity to tap into in evening, charming surroundings, community life, nature walks. Keep moving plan south in view of weather (began in Piedmont, Valle d'Aosta/Liguria, now wondering if I should be thinking Capri)had considered Bologna or Lucca for base, but have never visited Italy and am unfamiliar with smoothest way to do without a car there. Other post discussed sheets of rain in late March travel, and our party would love a little warm weather: don't expect sunbathing but would be nice to get out of rain and avoid mittens. Should we be looking further south?
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM

I would consider the town of Amalfi, but there is no one "right" answer. In Liguria, Camogli would be great--lots of walks in the area, boat trips, rail and bus connections....but late March might not give you the weather you are seeking.

If you do go for the CT area, I think you are better off in a town near the Ct, not in one of the Ct towns. And not sure about the weather that time of year..if it is bad, you are really out of luck. If you base in Amalfi, you can visit Naples/Pompeii if you get rotten weather.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM

You would get more responses if you put the word "Italy" in your title.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 12:41 PM

I'd go for Lucca, if you can get some weather info that is the least bit positive. it's such a great town!
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Hello archipelagic, in my experiences I would expect some rain during the month of March.

With your two sons I can't help but think that Bologna might be a good city for you to stay in. With the train service from Bologna you would be able to travel to many places for day trips.

And with Bologna being an univerity city and also reknowned for its food it seems to me it with be a perfect fit for your sons. And you certainly could buy some wonderful food in Bologna to enjoy in your apartment.

Personally I would rather be in Bologna if it rains than along the coast. But we all have different preferances of course. With eight days in Italy I would think that staying in one spot and taking day trips would be the best. One loses so much time moving from one lodging to another.

Perhaps go on Google and research Bologna, or Lucca or whatever places seem of interest to you and that would no doubt help you make a decision that would be fun and of interest for all four of you. Best regards.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Hub and I have been to Italy 7 times-all during March for 2 week periods and from as far north as Como to as far south as Sicily. Had a couple of cool days (put liners in our coats) but never rain.
Weather-you never know, eh?
Go to Spoleto and stay at Hotel Clitunno. Wonderful, family run/owned pallacio (or was when we were there) with excellent restaurant on site and awesome food group meeting there monthly. Easy train to Orvieto and Assisi (and more). Read about this town and decide for yourself! Please let everyone know what you end up doing.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 02:06 PM

I have based at all places mentioned above for touring around by public transport, among all suggestions, Bologna is one of the best for car-free travel, plus interesting things to see/do in town, excellent food (supposedly food capital of Italy by Michelin Guide), one of the most concentrated World Heritage
Sites around in Italy-so plenty of sightseeing, plus good walks around the countryside.

I stayed in Bologna For several nights January 2008, the weather was perfectly pleasant for visitors from NE of North America.

Lucca is nice also, but the transport network is far less convenient.

Old Oct 11th, 2008, 02:52 PM

I would consider Sicily for several reasons. The island is quite far south and weather should be mild. The east coast in particular is well connected by train and bus. The people are friendly, the food is good, and the euro goes a long way compared to other destinations. I feel sure that you can find an apartment or house that your whole family could enjoy in comfort. Sicily is an historical wonderland. The Greek and Roman ruins here are delightful--even if you are not into that. I feel sure spring flowers will be in bloom this time of year. My husband and I went here the last two weeks in April and only needed a light jacket in the evenings. Feel free to write to me on my email address. I am passionate about Sicily and can't wait to go back. My email is [email protected].