Best site to purchase Eurail Saver Selectpass

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for the best place to purchase the rail pass. My itinerary is Amsterdam-Munich(night train) - Venice(night train)-florence-rome-paris(night train)-amsterdam.<BR>Also, I'm debating about which pass to buy, railsaver.com suggested me to buy 4 country-6 days, I'm thinking about 5 country-5 days.<BR>Thanks for help.<BR>manqing
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 04:53 PM

I shopped around and found the best deal from Rick Steves. You might check out his website or try calling the 800 directory for his number.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 05:17 PM

I second the Rick Steves idea. I have usually received free guidebooks or other goodies with the purchase of a railpass plus you can call them for help with your itinerary.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:01 PM

I'm curious what made Rick Steves the best deal. It was my impression that every single site or place that sells the passes does so at exactly the same prices. No one, but no one, discounts them. Did Rick Steve's site do something extra?
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:17 PM

It appears that even Rick Steves himself agrees with Patrick re price:<BR><BR>&quot;The basic price of a European railpass is pretty much the same no matter where you buy it. But two things set Rick Steves’ Europe Through the Back Door apart from every other source: First, our staff has more hands-on rail travel experience than anyone else out there (so we can help you make smarter choices). Second, no one else gives you so many free Travel I.Q.-building extras with your pass.&quot; <BR><BR>Then he lists the stuff you get if you order your railpass from them:<BR>http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/freebies.htm
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 04:52 AM

Yup, it's about the extras. If you like Rick Steves, buy them from him. If you don't, other places offer other extras.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 04:56 AM
ira

Hi<BR> The price of the pass is the same at all sites. Shipping costs and other goodies vary. I buy my passes from railsaver.com.<BR> Can't help you with which pass to buy, since I don't know your exact itinerary. Why don't you trust railsaver?
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 04:58 AM

You might check point to point fares before investing in a pass. Second class may save you a lot of money.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll go with Rick Steves then. I'm planning to use his guide books for the trips too.<BR>manqing
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 08:32 AM

manqing:<BR>We ordered our railpass (3 countries, five days) from Rick Steves and were each able to select one of his travel books free. After sending in the order form, I received a call from his office saying that there was a sale, and our $299 passes ended up costing us $199!
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 09:27 AM

One word about railsaver.com. I've been pricing railpasses recently and I've noticed that, for me, railsaver won't pull up the two country passes (e.g. France &amp; Italy), no matter how hard I try to get it to. Subsequent to using railsaver, I've found, that, for my itinerary, the F&amp;I pass is actually the best deal. However, railsaver keeps pulling up a three country (France, Italy and, usually, Benelux) pass despite the fact that we're not going to any of the Benelux countries. It's a difference of about $65 overall.<BR><BR>I'm not saying you shouldn't &quot;trust&quot; railsaver, but I would certainly get a second opinion. There are numerous other sites that can help you with this task . . . most of them have been mentioned here. I would only add that www.euraide.com has some good information also. <BR><BR>Good Luck,<BR>Jennie
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 09:58 AM
ira

Good point Jennie,<BR> There is no &quot;one size fits all&quot;.