Best Scotland Tour Company?

Apr 6th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Best Scotland Tour Company?

A friend has asked which tour company should her parents pick for a trip to Scotland. For health reasons, they do not want to travel independently. There will be two seniors, my friend (46) and her 13 year old daughter. The trip may be moderately priced or even more expensive.
Apr 6th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Marsha, I would recommend Insight Tours. I have not done their Scotland trip, but thought that the Insight Tour I took of Switzerland a few years back was the best of all the other tours I have taken in Europe. Hotels were excellent. Please consider it.
Apr 6th, 2005, 11:53 AM

You've received a couple of good suggestions -- but your friends may want to re-think some of their assumptions. If the parents are frail or have health issues, a group tour may be the LAST place they want to be.

If they travel on their own they can set their own agenda/pace/accomodations - as busy or as slow as they want. If anyone is having a bad day they can just sit still and not have to rush to catch the next bus. Group tours are great for those who can't drive - but the daughter could do the driving. Plus, any tours that are enjoyable/accessible to the elderly or infirm would be like a slow death march for a 13 yo.
Apr 6th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

You have a good point, Janis. Some of those tours can be pretty grueling! I've already told my friend that she would not have any problems driving - I thought the traffic in Scotland was much better than England or France.

To Helen and Travelinwifey, thank you for the tour suggestions. I will forward those to my friend.
Apr 6th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Have them look at Prestige Tours. They're meant to be fantastic
Apr 6th, 2005, 08:14 PM

Just wanted to add if they want to travel a little more upscale try Tauck Vacations (www.tauck.com), we did them for England and the West country. The price will be much more expensive though, but you get to stay in a lot of manor homes. Just lovely. The guide will most likely be American though if that makes a difference. Tauck is also discounted 5-8% online.
Apr 7th, 2005, 07:58 PM

We used Highland Journeys with Nicola Fraser last June. There were six of us. Nicola has pre-set tours you can choose from or you can plan your own. We planned our own and the price was comparable to other small tours. The limit is six people I think. We had a fantastic time. Nicola grew up in the Highlands and knows and loves Scotland. She is very informative and flexible to your needs and desires of what to see.
Jul 27th, 2005, 01:56 PM

Please let me know where you can get Tauck on line at a discount as you reference in your posting.

Thank you!
Aug 24th, 2005, 09:34 PM

You don't state a time of year, but we had a fantastic tour of Scotland last year with Lindblad (www.expeditions.com)
We took their ship, (large yacht size) through the canals from Oban to Inverness(with side trips) and then they bussed us to Edinburgh and we traveled south to London on the Orient Express train during the day, with side trips, nights in lovely hotels and dinner on Queen Elizabeth's yacht, Britannia which is now public. Also a private cocktail tour and dinner of the Roman baths in Bath, England. We even spent a day in Wales. Very nice, not cheap, and very thorough. We Really saw the north of Scotland to London and tons in between.
Very relaxed, too as they transported you everywhere in style.