Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best scenic route from Girona to Sitges by car

Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We値l be driving along the coast from Barcelona to Begur, then to Girona before our last stop in Sitges before flying home. I知 hoping to find an inland route for a nice drive with a quick stop for a light lunch in a small village or town with easy parking.
Thanks
Terry
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 09:09 AM

What is best? I personally would choose a route planner like Via Michelin use the "discovery "button to find a scenic route.
Basically there are two route that avoid BCN. one is near the highway the other heads for mountainous roads.
It is a shame Europe does not have something like the myscenicdrives route planner.
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 01:02 PM

iwantogotoo,
How long do you have, or how long do you want take to make a more scenic Girona-Sitges drive?

I'm looking right now at my 574 Michelin regional map, Catalunya/Aragn/Andorra.

The quickest, easiest but non-scenic drive (for the most part) would be down the toll route AP7. But... from the Pened駸 wine capital of Villafranca del Pened駸 on the AP7 you would head east on the scenic C15 through the Natural Park of Garref, then at Canyelles, continue down the scenic C15B to Sitges through the Garret.

You could stop along the AP7 before reaching Villafranca del Pened駸 for a very short detour to the cava (bubbly) capital of Sant Sadurn d'Anoia for a nice lunch on the town hall square (Pla軋 Ajuntament). And in this vicinity you could visit the Castle of Subirats, if that holds interest.

But if you want to spend the entire day on the road and have a time for a large detour (depending on when you can depart from Girona)--
from the AP7 at exit 8 you could head west on the C25 to the very atmospheric, small city of VIC, the capital of Osuna.
If it's a Tuesday or Saturday there will be a large outdoor market held in the morning on the Pla軋 Major, one of the oldest in Catalunya.
And Vic boasts a wonderful Museu Episcopal housing Romanesque and Gothic works and the Cathedral of Sant Pere.
The valley is also know for its sausages (llonganissa de Vic).
https://www.victurisme.cat/en/que-s2...ercats/mercats

But this second option would be more time consuming. The driving time from Girona to Vic to Sitges without stops, viamichelin estimates to be just under 2 1/2 hours.

I use viamichelin.com for all my route planning in addition to my printed Michelin maps. I find the driving time estimates from viamichelin more realistic than those of Google mapping.

Just some ideas...
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Maribel!
I was hoping you壇 reply. I致e planned a good deal of our trip soaking in your posts and reading Maribel痴 Guides. BTW, I was excited to find your updated Costa Brava guide 😁 Thank you!

We have all day to get to Sitges, we値l be there for 3 nights to relax before heading home from BCN to the East Coast.

I was thinking about Vic. It痴 great to have a couple of options so we can decide once we see how much energy we have left. I知 finding ViaMichelin a little clunky but I do use it.

If I can beg another question I知 looking at Toc Al Mar for a stop on our way to Begur on a Monday. Do they have a fresh catch on Monday or should we hold off till Tuesday?

Last edited by iwanttogotoo; Sep 23rd, 2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 06:02 PM

Thanks so much for the compliments
Now that I know you'll have 3 nights in Sitges before heading home from BCN, it seems like you would have time for the admittedly much longer "off piste" detour to Vic, but the other option would be a quicker, easier option down to Sitges. It's really what you feel is best for you and your schedule.

Toc al Mar at the beach in Aiguablava is fantastic! But....fishermen don't go out on Sunday, so I would switch it to Tuesday for a better experience. And enjoy their unusual square paella (paella cuadrada)!
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Maribel! What would we do without your generous spirit 🤗
Terry