Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   best scenery -switzerland austria prague provence germany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-scenery-switzerland-austria-prague-provence-germany-703217/)

Robespierre May 7th, 2007 12:00 PM

best scenery -switzerland austria prague provence germany

Author: insearchofheaven
Date: 05/07/2007, 12:17 am

Hi

I am in a fix deciding abt a week long trip to Europe in end June with my husband..
He has left it one me to decide..
We are in early 30s,both working usually very busy,no kids .
I am pregnant( will be 18 wks then) and we want to have a very nice vacation before we have the baby..

I have been to Paris and Venice and loved both.

Please suggest the best places in term of beautiful scenery and weather in June ..

I want to go to :-
Switzerland /
Austria/
prague/
Germany

Please advice what are the best cities in each which I can combine.I am also open to any other suggestions.Thanks

I know this forum is very popular with visitors here having been to many many countries and I hope to get excellent advice..

Author: insearchofheaven
Date: 05/07/2007, 12:19 am

I guess it isn't clear above but I ofcourse don't plan to visit all above places in this visit/just deciding on 2-3 cities from countries/cities above
which might be doable in a week including travel btw the cities.

Author: CAPH52
Date: 05/07/2007, 12:25 am

insearchof, I see that you're a new poster, so you would have no way of knowing this. But when you title your post with a long string of words with no break in between, it throws off the whole column.

Would you mind re-posting, putting spaces between the country names? And then just let this one sink.

I suspect you may get more responses if you do that. Some people won't answer a post with a title like this because they don't want to keep bringing it to the top, messing up the column.

Thanks.

Author: norrisken ([email protected])
Date: 05/07/2007, 03:57 pm

Skip Switzerland this trip. Nice relaxing vacation. Fly into Munich, arrive early am and rest a bit, do some light sightseeing, shopping.
3 days Munich with a combination of 3 city and day trips. This will allow you to vary plans according to weather or how you are feeling. Travel to Salzburg and base there for a combination of 3 city and day trips. Then back to Munich and fly home. More details if you'd like.

ira May 7th, 2007 12:08 PM

Hi ISO,

ditto norris

where2 May 7th, 2007 01:19 PM

knorris and ira may have a point with the "non-relaxing" itinerary of Munich and Salzburg which I assume is your last hurrah without kids, but seeing that you are pregnant, you may feel the need to relax. With both of my pregnancies I had a sciatic nerve problem, which would make the constant sightseeing a nightmare. You may get tired easily - but maybe not. Plus you can't drink in Munich. . .

I suggest Switzerland - you don't have to hike if you don't feel like it. You can take trains, gondolas, etc. everywhere you go including up and down the mountains. The berner-oberland is stunning. We were in Grindelwald and Zermatt last June and the weather was PERFECT (high 70s).

annhig May 7th, 2007 01:23 PM

hi, insearch,

when pregnant with DD, now 19, we went to lago di maggiore - it was perfect. lots of trips if you want, and lots of relaxing if you don't. lovely islands and gardens.

lucerne would be similar, I imagine.

regards, ann

curmudgeon May 7th, 2007 02:35 PM

When we took two weeks in Germany and Austria one June, it rained (lightly) about half the days, and was cloudy most of the rest. We still had a great trip, but weather might be more reliable in Provence.

Salzburg, or the smaller towns in the mountains nearby would do a good job for scenic and relaxing. You want a car for more convenient sightseeing if you choose this area.

norrisken May 7th, 2007 04:39 PM

I consider my itinerary relaxing. By basing it in only two cities and allowing for a mix of travel depending on, weather, mood, or health. You can do a day trip to the castles or if you're not up to it just take a short tour in the city or relax at your hotel. I find being flexible is one of the most important parts of a relaxing vacation. Munich and Salzburg offer a great variety of things to do. I think not being able to drink alchohol is a good thing when you're almost 5 months pregnant.

noe847 May 8th, 2007 09:09 AM

You will be in your middle trimester at 18 weeks. This is usually a pretty good time to travel; past morning sickness, not too huge to be uncomfortable, and before the joys of the last trimester!

If you're talking about city-beauty, it would be hard to beat Prague. It is visually lovely, and compact enough that you can walk pretty much everywhere. The castle, the Old Town Square, and Charles Bridge were highlights of our two trips there. You can expect lots of people there with you, however, as Prague is very popular with tourists.

Prague combines well with Vienna (4 hours or so by train), which is known for its art and culture, as well as some stunning architecture. I've been three times and really enjoy the vibe of this capital city.

Munich and Salzburg would be a good combination, as has been suggested.

If you want to combine a city with a smaller place, you could do Salzburg and somewhere like Regensburg, which is a beautiful medieval city on the Danube. We enjoyed our two visits here. We went in winter, and our relatives there told us it was even nicer in warm weather.

Good luck with your planning, and let us know what you decide.