Best Salzburg Salt Mine Tour Companies

Apr 20th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Best Salzburg Salt Mine Tour Companies

Can anyone pls. recommend a great tour company for the Salzburg salt mines? Thanks!!
Apr 20th, 2005, 05:41 PM
J62

I recommend the one in Bertchesgarden, not far away in Germany.
Apr 20th, 2005, 06:26 PM

We took a tour with Panarama. It was a minibus & went to Bertchesgarden, through a little bit a Bavaria. The driver/tour guide seemed pretty knowledgeable but I can't say it was great. We did not have to wait at the salt mine, which gave its own tour. We just picked up their brochure in Salzburg & our hotel made reservations for us. They also do the Sound of Music tours.
Apr 20th, 2005, 08:30 PM

I've been looking myself for tours in Austria. Does anyone have experience with booking through Viator?
Apr 20th, 2005, 08:37 PM

bconway, while you are in the area, you might consider a tour of Hitler's "Eagles' Nest." Incredible constuction to access this promontory. Fabulous wiews! I found this tour more fascinating than the Salt Mines.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:15 AM

I also recommend Bertchesgarten, in Germany, but very close to Salzburg ... 15-20 minutes away...very fun!

Also, we were surprised by how enjoyable the Sound of Music Tour was!
Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:56 PM

If feasible, I would recommend renting a car and driving through the beautiful Austrian countryside/mountains. Driving in Austria is easy and relatively stressfree (as opposed to Italy or even the US).

The salt mine in Halstein is interesting and the city itself is very beautiful (on a lake). Helenbreen is correct about Eagle's Nest - one of the most amazing views in all of Europe and surrounded by history.