Search

Best Route to Drive From Dubrovnik Croatia To Podgorica Montenegro

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Route to Drive From Dubrovnik Croatia To Podgorica Montenegro

Hi All,
I am wondering what is the best route to drive from Dubrovnik Croatia to Podgorica Montenegro. Should we drive along the coast through Petrovac or take the inland route through Cetinje? The Cetinje route looks extremely windy and hilly. Anyone do this before and have any advice to share?
Thanks
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 11:13 PM

The road that climbs from Kotor up the mountains to Cetinje has between 20 and 30 hairpin bends just to climb up out of Kotor - and is not for the fainthearted!

I was driven to Cetinje, and then back down to the coast at Budva, and I wouldn't particularly want to drive it myself. It was very scenic, though if you were driving you would have to watch the road at all times and wouldn't get to really appreciate the views! It's not so much the road, but oncoming local traffic overtaking on the bends and heading towards you on the wrong side, only a miniscule guardrail to keep you from tumbling over the edge...

However I have driven quite a bit in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and can tell you that those minor mountain roads are truly terrifying. Some of the main roads can be a bit scary as well! The terrain is not so very different.

Get a really good map, and bear in mind that there is often a very good reason why those little white roads on the map are not used as main roads, even though they look as though they might be a much shorter route! Google maps 'satellite view can be useful to look at close up - and give you a bit more of an idea of the terrain. but it doesn't show you where the guard rails are missing or the road is only single track.

I think unless I really wanted to see Cetinje (nice museum, pleasant large square to sit in and have a coffee, but not much else there), I'd head down the coast.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Julia,
Thanks for the reply. I think that given the terrain I will take the longer slower drive down the coast and then north to Podgorica.
Thanks for the help.