Best Route Siena to Pisa

Old May 24th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Sul Ross

Best Route Siena to Pisa

My family will be driving from Siena to Pisa on a Monday morning in June. Which route would you recommend? We can't afford to take a lot of time to get to Pisa, but we would like to take the most scenic route if it doesn't take too long. We will have already been to San Gimignano as a side trip from Siena.

Old May 24th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Wayne

Get yourself a good roadmap and the route will become obvious. If you intend to drive without a road map, you deserve the consequences.

Old May 24th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Jim

Sorry for the rude reply from Wayne. I am also going from Siena to Pisa next month in a rental car and had the same concerns. Check out Euroshell.com, and also Michelin. They both have route planners. you plug in addresses of departure and arrival points and it will tell you the fastest routes. Play with it some. It works better if you put the actually street address of your hotel and the place you want to go to. Euroshell works with place nmes also like piazzas and campos, so it will give you a very accurate route.

Old May 24th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Wayne

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. It just seems that the distance is so short and the roads so clear (if you have a map) that any routes would be obvious. However, Jim's reply really didn't answer your question, and I suppose that's because he didn't know what the most scenic route is. I'll try to help since it appears you really need help. For the most scenic route (and I have driven these roads) you should take 222 north to Castellina, then 429 west to San Gimignano and Volterra, continuing west on 68 to Riparbella, then north to Casciana Terme, then to Ponsacco, then west to route 206 that goes north into Pisa. I guarantee this is the most scenic route. For a further diversion, there is a road which rings all the way around San G and Volterra, and it's really great scenery all the way. Needless to say, I don't know how long "too long" is, but the trip I suggested, without the circle around the 2 villages, would be about 2-3 hours.

If you want to avoid San G and Volterra, yet still have scenery, go north to Castellina, then west to Poggibonsi, then northwest to Certaldo, Castelfiorentino, and San Miniato, then on to Pisa on the main Firenze-Pisa highway or the secondary road that sorta parallels it. The villages along the way are very nice. This trip will take about 2 hours. Hope this helps better than my earlier brusque reply.