Best route from FCO to Pompei

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our flight lands in Rome about 8 AM; I assume it will be about 9 before we are in the rental car. I'm looking for a route that will not get me caught up in rush-hour traffic, if that's possible.
MapQuest would have us going on the southern portion of the Ring Road to A1 and then south.
Going south to Anzio and then east to A1 calculates to 4+ hours according to MapQuest.
I'd appreciate advice from those of you with experience with these roads.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:44 AM

pjsmart,

I recommend you don't drive to Pompeii the day you arrive. You will be jet-lagged, you will be faced with a new car to drive, and unfamiliar traffic signs and behaviors, and you will not be very alert.

My daughter and son-in-law shrugged this advice off when we went to Italy, and drove from Milan to Carrara right after arriving. He nearly fell asleep three times!! He stopped and had several espressos, but all that did was make him a jumpy sleepyhead. Spend the first day getting used to the time difference, perhaps just walking around Rome, or go to Ostia Antica by train, then pick up the car the next day --- or, if you want to head straight for Pomepii, take the train south and pick the car up there the next day.

Charnee
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, pjsmart,

are you planning to spend any time in Rome? if not, please reconsider. for reasons I can't begin to explain, i didn't get there til I was nearly 50 - 50 wasted years. i really loved it.

even if you don't want to stay very long, i agree wholeheartedly with Charnee - give yourselves a chance to recover from the flight.

regards, ann
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

I have been to Rome and will return there on this trip.
This time, however, I am taking my college-age son on his first trip to Italy, and he wants to see a number of sites. So, we're going to drive south to Pompei to start the trip. Eventually, we will drop the car off, fly back to Rome and use the trains and local transport to visit the city.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, again, pjs,

just looked at the map. seems there's a choice of motorways - looks as if you are thinking about the most westerly one, that sort of goes down the coast. That's the one I think I'd choose too.

however, I just put this into www.viamichelin.com and it suggested the other autoroute, and gave 2hs 38 as the driving time. so depending on traffic you could probably do it in 3hrs to 3.30.

this would give you from about 12 noon til closing at pompeii. that's probably long enough.

alternatively, you could go the other way, look at anzio, book into your accommodation, and spend as long as you like at Pompeii the next day. allowing for possible jet=lag, i think that would be my choice.

happy planning,

regards, ann
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:14 PM

There is something convoluted about this trip; first off Via Michelin places this route at 260 Kms or 2.5 hours because most of it is motorways. You may be getting yourself wrap around the axle for no good reason....

Second, why the backtraking? Fly to the southernmost destination and drive your way back to avoid it.

Third: jetlag affects people differently. My husband could drive Pompeii to Rome after a transatlantic flight with no problem whatsoever. I could not do that in a million years. So, as far as getting on the road upon arrival, there is no rule; do what you think your body (not anybody else's...) will be able to handle.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:16 PM

If it were me, I would drive to Sorrento, find a hotel overlooking the Bay of Naples, relax and enjoy the view the first day.
The next day you could either drive to Pompei (45 min.) or take the train from Sorrento. Pompei will blow you away.....it's fascinating. DO NOT drag yourself around there with Jetlag. As far as the route south goes, I would check with Michelin....it's been a while but I don't think it took 4+ hours.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the responses. However, I'm wondering what one is likely to find on the southern portion of the Ring Road in the morning. I've been stuck in traffic in Rome, but I have also found some roads move reasonably well at rush hour. If that part of the Ring Road is likely to take an hour to get to A1, I might head down the coastal road to Anzio to provide something for my son to see rather than sit bumper to bumper.
I'd like to hear from folks with recent experience on the Ring Road.